Indian flint finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a most unusual small flint bow scraper, probably to notch out for the string on a bow. The artifact was carved to look like the head of a bird of prey.

1426727523_birdscraper11.jpg

While one side is like that of a living bird, the opposite side resembles a skull (the beak uneven with holes).

1426727854_birdscraper14.jpg

The living or front side has the cutting edge, the beak end like a chisel.

1426728015_birdscraper9.jpg

This is not my most recent altered flint find, rediscovered it last season, before winter snows moved in to stay. I once had picked the carved stone up to look at, then put down under an outdoor water hydrant in the garden (forgotten until reached down, noticed the sharp edges).

1426728477_birdscraper8.jpg

Hard to imagine that primitive cultures, could become so skilled at small carvings, fragile details almost to tiny to see without magnification.

1426728715_birdscraper2.jpg

Under the end of beak, amazing how they made it like a chisel, but used 3 small effigy like depressions so the sharp micro edges don't break.

1426728995_birdscraper13.jpg

Thanks mate

I love flint artefacts, some of the detail on small Indian arrow heads is truely remarkable.

Any idea what the last one is used for? Scraping grooves in wood perhaps?

G'Day mate (need to get used to saying that)!

Yes, this flint scraper looked to me like it was designed to makes grooves in wood (probably for bowstring or whatever). Scrapers come in a variety of sizes and shapes. I've got one puzzled me for a long time. Much too small and fragile to be a seed drill, in fact the end resembles a modern steel wood drill bit.

1426809208_stonebit1.jpg

The end is made (where my finger is covering above photo) to taper down flat, thin enough to be put on a wood spindle. There would be no reason for a wet clay scraper so small, a larger flint tool can be shaped to do almost anything. It is the right size to clean out an antler pipe, because they have a deeper narrow hole (compared to stone pipe bowls) a perfect explanation.

1426809644_stonebit2.jpg

The flint is a deep reddish color, not as common as brown or white around here.

1426809843_stonebit3.jpg

I'm sure the bit is not meant for drilling wood, perhaps it could be used on clay pot edges but doesn't make sense because of the tiny size. My guess is a pipe cleaner on antler bowls (most logical).

1426810151_stonebit4.jpg

Latest posts