In order of awesomeness what are the most highly prized coins to find?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clegy

Justin Cleghorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just been reading a lot of posts here and seeing what is being unearthed. I am coming up with a wish list of finds that I would like to chase in the future.

I am researching my butt off about local places that people congregated in past times.

I nailed a 1940 florin at an old Rockpool site near the beach and half dozen three pence. Florin is in top condition but the others are flogged.

Anyway in order of sweetness what are the top 5 things that bring the best feeling when you scrape the dirt/sand/mud back. Value is not important as I chase the feeling rather than the $$$$.

My top 5 finds in my week doing this are:
1. First coin ever 10 cents in back yard.
2. 1940 florin
3. Live 308 round found near florin?
4. 1945 half penny in back yard.
5. Little silver ring my first jewellery find.

I really want to find.
1. 1930 penny
2. gold ring of any type
3. Military badges any type
4. Round 50 cents
5. Any pre 1900 coin

What else should I add?

Thanks guys

Hi Clegy. Mate I added my first trade token while I was away on holidays, from Nth Qld. A Stewart and Hemment Drapers token from a little pub 70 ks from Townville. I was stoked. Along the way I have uncovered a 1907 Britannia penny, a 1922 KGV threepence, a 1951 sixpence [just last weekend] a 1917 KGV penny, a 1947 Florin. But sadly as yet, no 1930 penny or 1923 halfpenny..........but we keep hoping. All the best and keep swingin'.

I licked a 1920 penny last week, the 2 looked so much like a 3, until I did.
top 3
A real gun (prob never)
Rising Sun hat badge (decent chance)
a roman coin (easily done if I visit the UK)

My favorite finds to date
3 florins
australia armed forces shoulder badge
australia armed forces buttons
nsw govt railway button
gold ring
silver bangle with a nice large stone

I go for any GOLD coin - full or 1/2 sovereign.

Many get excited about some of the Pre-Decs...

BUT even the silver ones devalue a lot; if they have been in the ground. As for coppers i.e. lets say a 1930 penny, while it would be worth a bit; if it has been exposed and in the ground it would not be worth as much as one might think...

Now if I found an old coin collection that had been stashed - then still not much chance of a 1930 but could be others that would see me on a years holiday :)

Thus I think my chance of finding a sovereign or other gold coin in the dirt / on the beach; is a better goal :)

But each to his own...

Paulmarr said:
(18) 1930 pennies are known to exist ... I would think you will find 10 sovereigns before you find a 1930 penny!

Just a couple would be great - even 1 for that matter...

The holey dollar would be a wonderful find. Someone dug one up at Hill End a few years ago. It had a pick mark on it from a previous detectorist who missed it.

There are stories about them being found being used as washers on tank taps and such like.

The Adelaide Pound would have to be very high on the list of desirable finds. On the 4umer forum, a bloke claimed to have detected one in 2013, you can find the link on Google

Haven't got a md but i would like to find

Bushranger stash of loot
A better metal detector
Flight mh 370
A fully functional army tank

More seriously my father has always been an avid coin collector so maybe the one or two Australian coins he doesn't have.

Paulmarr said:
(18) 1930 pennies are known to exist ... I would think you will find 10 sovereigns before you find a 1930 penny!

There must be more than that, surely? There's always several available on dealers' tables when the coin fair comes to town.

grubstake said:
Paulmarr said:

There must be more than that, surely? There's always several available on dealers' tables when the coin fair comes to town.

I don't know how many are out there I know of one, I do know there's plenty of fakes with the numbers changed ,a good old fake is still worth more than the average penny

Latest posts