In-Floor Gold Safes!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been looking around lately at the best idea's for valuables protection at home.

Not only for my gold (both native and bullion), but for cash, jewelry, sensitive documents etc.

The main concern for me other than theft of-course, is fire!

I recently spoke to a 'safe' consultant after doing a bit of research online and he recommends a floor safe set in concrete as the ultimate protection. His advice was that any concrete set around a safe will act as an extra buffer against extreme heat and given the fact that heat rises, something below floor level is best.
A floor safe simply set in a wooden floor is not as good and likely make any safe akin to a hot BBQ plate he tells me.

He did make a good point in telling me that fire is not the biggest concern in a floor safe set in concrete, its water damage to anything inside.
Apparently they are not water proof.
If your house burns to the ground, the fire crew will have used large amounts of water (other fire retardant) in extinguishing the blaze so this is of concern. He recommended putting cash and other documents in water tight Tupperware containers to prevent this sort of damage (obviously your gold would not suffer).

As extra protection, he recommends a TDR type safe (Torch, Drill and explosive resistant).
More specifically a CMI Mark 1 TDR4 Floor Safe TDR4 at $1630.20 RRP, plus installation naturally.

2cgo9jr.jpg

CMI MARK 1 TDR QUALITY FLOOR SAFE. Suggested insurable cash rating, in an unsupported (no alarms) domestic situation is $40,000

Mark I Torch And Drill Resisting Features:
One million change keyless combination lock
Large door opening 254mm x 127mm (10" x 5") on lift-out door model
Suitable for mounting in floor
Proven resistance to drilling, oxy-acetylene cutting and explosives
Relocking devices incorporated in door
Boltwork activated by Rack & Pinion mechanism preventing opening problems often associated with ordinary floor safes

What do other members think?

How do you guys protect your gold and other valuables if you need to store them rather than sell due to current market conditions?
(I also buy bullion from Melb Mint as a long term hedge against inflation, currency devaluation and general economic downturn).

Im very untrusting of storing anything externally i.e safe deposit boxes etc.
I feel that the ultimate in protection within my own home will help me sleep better at night!

Regards ;)

No good putting a floor safe in my place. It's up on stilts Queenslander style. Thieves could get at it from underneath. I do have a small safe bolted down in a cupboard. Your advice re fire and water damage is causing me to rethink on the best place to have a safe.

I have an above floor comb/key safe, dyna bolted to the concrete floor. It has a 2 hour fire rating, hidden locking pins when door closed, so breaking the hinges does not matter. House fires generally burn out well before the 2 hour mark.

Being above ground it should be pretty well flood proof (unless a guy named Noah moves in next door and starts building a boat).

I guess a serious safe cracker would get in, but the average crim won't.

Thats a good point too condor22.

Dyna bolted into concrete above floor level should be all one would need. I mean after all, its not as if I am a world bank or something?.....and being targeted by the pro's is highly unlikely.

I guess a theif or group of theives would have to know what they were specifically targeting, rather than simply coming across a safe during a burglary, to successfully have any chance or removing it with an angle-grinder on the Dyna bolts.
Plus once its removed and taken away, they have to be able to break into it without damaging the contents and this would be beyond anyone but a professional locksmith or safe cracker.

@Ramjet...Maybe a purpose-built concrete slab at ground level with the dog-kennel on top? lol. I dunno!
My mates reckon im paranoid, but I like to call it prepping.

We all saw what happened during the GFC when there was a 'run' on some of the major European banks. They just simply shut their doors and people could not access their money.
If there is ever such a repeat in Australia, you have buckleys chance of getting at your savings if left too late, it will be gone.

Even a Twitter or Facebook rumor could cause a run on any bank targeted....
On 11 December 2011, a rumor was spread via Twitter that the Swedish banks Swedbank and SEB was having "problems" and there was a lesser hysteria in Latvia. People emptied their accounts, and according to local media there were long lines of people at the cash machines. The run on accounts caused the bank to temporarily close until things began to calm down.

Mmmmmm,...underground mancave underneath the dodgy kennel,....watchers think your just bending down for a pat and bingo your gone(and next your mates are in too.,,,Mrs is looking everywhere and ends up doing the mowing herself while you and the boys drink and play pool while poochie keeps lookout up above,..next level down= secret alladins cave(not even mates know) with permanent pumping system that filters and cleans water before adding it into above ground fountain with regular overflow drainage system.cool.(ha)

Here's a pictorial tutorage on how to do it to the dog kennel stage.
Remember to keep it looking pristine when you finish.
1418956737_images7.jpg

get your gear ready to go.
1418956769_images4.jpg

pick out your site
1418956784_imagespj7bbcqi.jpg

get the mates around to help out a bit(after all they will be drinking in there with you).
1418956871_images8.jpg

get the major parts dug first.
1418956932_imagespaq76gnc.jpg

try and keep it inconspicuous.
1418956960_imagess7g2yuwa.jpg

it should start to be looking pretty plain as you nearly finish the project
1418956971_imagesxqfdl988.jpg

then throw the kennel up over the top of it all.
1418956991_imagesonvu5fzu.jpg

And remember to buy a dog(or someone could get sus on you),...(ha)

LMAO.....That's what im talking about Silver!

Your hired ;)

When can you start?

Naturally you will be given life time membership with VIP privileges to the new man bunker!

Cheers

Funny you should mention Hogans Hero's Cracka. Hehe!

My little German buddy loves the idea guys!

2pzzq86.jpg

:cool:

hey Silver you're on the money there mate but you forgot;

the solar powered ventilation fans with the replaceable carbon filtered air inlet

stash of iodine tablets

longlife food rations

CCTV cameras up top with a screen in the bunker

apart from that mate . bang on the money.

Nobody is talking about this,but us being a member of the G-20,we have signed on to "Bail Ins"so having your gold is a good idea,and also keep cash on hand,because when the next one comes,and it will, they will close the banks and everybody,today runs on credit cards.So I know that there will people that think I am a bit over the top,but how can the world solve its debt problem by more debt.
I am stunned by the amount of people who are ignorant of the financial problems of the world,so holding gold and silver is a good idea.
At my last place I had my floor safe in the workshop in the shed, on high ground and we had heavy rain from the east and it flood the safe,lucky had documents in plastic bags.
Here it is layed out

http://ellenbrown.com/

Regards Frank

You'll be needed up front in the planning stages then HeadsUp, that's for sure mate !
HeadsUp said:
hey Silver you're on the money there mate but you forgot;

the solar powered ventilation fans with the replaceable carbon filtered air inlet

stash of iodine tablets

longlife food rations

CCTV cameras up top with a screen in the bunker

apart from that mate . bang on the money.

I've done 1 prospecting trip with my 5000, I've found 6 pieces totalling 2.5gr

If a crim wants it, it is on my lounge table in plain view, I'll give it to them.

Maybe that will distract them from the hidden safe..................

:lol:

As long as that wasn't a 6 month prospecting venture, you did alright for the one trip C22 !

On a serious note guys, Frank is right.....How do we best protect ourselves?

Is it an issue we should be concerned about?

What does the future hold for us in terms of security, given the way the world is operating at the moment and beyond.

Im not talking about a couple grams of gold on the table here.

What would it take to secure any wealth that we may have worked hard all our lives for.... and how do we ensure our kids are looked after?

I think its a pertinent issue in todays climate.

Call me crazy!

;)

Just finished watching the movie Mr & Mrs Smith. They had a couple of good hides in their house. I guess if the gold pays well enough you might be able to install something similar :/

Latest posts