Identify my rocks of interest.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1446952910_img_20151108_141938_228-optimized.jpg

no streak to me its a good old tile are they all porcelain

could it be corundum ?, I have been getting sapphires there , its in my creek, I am more interested in finding gold but plenty of other gems of interest keep popping up. I have got gold but its inconclusive until I get back down there as I didn't bang my matt out before I started and I think it may have come from another site I was exploring.

Even though I initially thought it was a black sapphire I do agree with Atomrat here about the possibility of it being spinel. I have seen many sapphires with Depends where you found it. If it's around New england then yeah i suppose it could be as there are a few obsidian outcrops around that area. Obsidian is extremely brittle as well i've got some at home with me now and just a hit with a geological hammer could smash it to a few smaller flakes. If you got any quartz try scratching your piece on some quartz. Just do a few hardness tests and try to narrow down what it could be.

Sapphire and ruby are just names given to different variants of corundum but since you have been getting sapphires in that region then I would say its probably a sapphire or a spinel (found with sapphires) it definitely looks like one. Give it a scratch with some quartz and see if its harder

all righty I have redone the SG , as my scales only go one decimal point in grams, but they do however weigh GN( grains 0.0648 of a gram) so I did the maths and now we have a more accurate SG of 3.769. I wouldn't have thought the extra decimal point could blow the figures out like that , I better buy some scales that go atleast 4 decimal points hey. :)

original maths grams
3.1 divided by 0.8 = 3.4444444444

new maths
49 grains 13 grains times 0.0648

grams
3.1752 divided by 0.8424 = 3.769230769

geosam said:
Sapphire and ruby are just names given to different variants of corundum but since you have been getting sapphires in that region then I would say its probably a sapphire or a spinel (found with sapphires) it definitely looks like one. Give it a scratch with some quartz and see if its harder

thanks mate :) its harder than quarts, the quarts leaves a streak on it then I wiped the quarts off and there's no mark on it

Now we have it's SG and streak colour I would say it's Pleonaste (Black Spinel), it's SG is close enough if you factor in a slight error due to not being done in a lab. Totally different SG to Obsidian and pretty much spot on for Spinel.

Nice sized piece too.

aussiefarmer said:
geosam said:

thanks mate :) its harder than quarts, the quarts leaves a streak on it then I wiped the quarts off and there's no mark on it

I hate doing hardness tests, very subjective and inconclusive mostly if you only have smallish bits to work with..... Just my opinion though.

Heatho - Yeah you're not wrong there mate, I just use it as a way of narrowing down what it could possibly be you can't rely on hardness test for definitive results
aussiefarmer - glad we could be of help mate :)

So the jurys saying black spinel ? (heatho with a like from atomrat)

can I ask why its not corundum ?

if its spinel can it be cut and polished into a nice stone ?

I have a lot of smaller pieces also, is it worth saving ?

I also thought one other bit was until I shined light through it and it had a lovely deep green color so I guess its sapphire ? I will have to light test the rest now 8)

You should have mentioned the 'smaller pieces' earlier hahahaha. Yes it certainly can be faceted and turns out great :)

Currundum is closer to 4 with s.g I'm pretty sure

And yep the green one would most likely be sapphire too :) sometimes corundum can have a barrel or 6 sides shape

AtomRat said:
You should have mentioned the 'smaller pieces' earlier hahahaha.

My apologies' :8 back in august when I started the thread I only had that one rock , especially with the glassy break , that's what intrigued me.
I hand picked that one when I was prospecting trying to find a starting spot to pan . but since then I have run the sluice and collected a few and a few sapphire's.
All in all I have seen enough signals to say its worth continuing and hopefully I can hit some gold :D

Latest posts