identification needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
found this rock at newman. Someone know what is this ? thank you

Jv6IJS.jpg

DuwjZQ.jpg

bRHzZq.jpg

somzX3.jpg

yes 10 km south of newman in WA and 50 km in the bush ^^ I looking for chrysoprase but I found this.

If you read up on the Coobina Chromite deposit, they also mention common opal with nickel impurities giving it the green colouring, so that may be what the first two rocks are. The other two look closer to chrysprase, maybe just not gem quality??

There is a an old CRA uranium prospect on the western side of highway, just south of Newman that has what I presume is Prasiolite. I collected some specimens from there years ago, where the the quartz has changed to a green colour (some half & half). From what I have researched, the naturally occurring ionising radiation in these areas may contribute to the discolouring of the quartz over time.

1413787782_img_20141020_165534.jpg

1413787802_img_20141020_165555.jpg

Yes, I'm thinking opal as well. For both rocks. Though the 2nd one is throwing me a bit. It could very well be a green chalcedony (like chrysoprase is). I would say to do a hardness and s.g. test, but chalcedony and common opal are very close, so not sure if it would help (read: confessing that I would muck them up, most likely. You might be way more accurate).

Mindat.org is your friend when looking for clues or more info: http://www.mindat.org/loc-219441.html

I'm liking the looks of both rocks, whatever they are. If you have more of them are you thinking of selling some?

Latest posts