Ice box / Esky information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up buying a Techni ice 80 litre chest, I used it last weekend even though it was a cool weekend the chest was opened way to many times (I should have organised the drinks better) it still had ice from the 1 1/2 bags of ice ( I used half a bag to cool the box over night) and ice was still in the frozen bottles. So for a weekend to 3 days it should be ok. I put in some racks so that the food didn't get soggy from the ice and you can use the smaller rack for cheese ham and bacon.The bottom racks are adjustable so you can still put large bottles standing up. :)
1427421844_rsz_20150327_123855.jpg

1427421966_rsz_220150326_140030.jpg

I was told one to get a small block of dry ice, wrap it in paper, then get a bag of crushed ice in it as well. It will last at least a week in a 50 litre fridge.
Jaros :p

Jaros said:
I was told one to get a small block of dry ice, wrap it in paper, then get a bag of crushed ice in it as well. It will last at least a week in a 50 litre fridge.
Jaros :p
Sounds like a good idea Jaros, I'll look into it next time I go camping :)

hi guys and gals,

Is looking at getting an ice box in the near future and is looking for recommends for what others use and their views etc on the brand.
What we would be using it for is 2-3 nights at most per trip for around 2-3 people out camping.

I had some Techni Ice but it all finished up in the bin after about 3 years .

fwdoz said:
Techni Ice. Lots of fishos use them.

I have got the camping fridge freezer. A well regarded brand.

I know you like your fishing, I made some of these up for my bait esky or beer esky when away fishing. PVC tube permanently capped, filled 3/4 with rainwater and frozen. Can be used over and over again and should the worst happen can be cut open and water drunk.
Make them to whatever length to suit your esky.
1609710078_8a1f7710-dd52-4257-8077-d0102541a71b.jpg

I have some rectangular blocks that live in the deep freezer that can keep stuff cold all day. They also fit between things nicely.

I also have the flexible techni ice packs that keep meat frozen on long trips.

As I now have the full size fridge in the van I dont need them any more.

I have techni ice esky's ,1 is the 70 litre long and narrow for the boat and i have the 45litre and the 100 litre ,all about ten or more years old and still good
The longest time we have kept ice was for 8 day's in summer, but we used block and party ice in the esky's
The techni ice brand has a few different models ,i have the signature range of esky's ,and a mate has the classic range (at times he wished he spent the extra dollars and got the signature range) but it all comes down to the budget spend, the signature range keeps the ice better
I have never had any problems with the build quality ,or the durability of the esky's, we have found them to be a good and solid esky

If you go with a techni ice esky," DON'T" waste your money buying extra ice packs from them, as they are not worth the money or the headache, you will get freebies with your purchase ,but don't rely on them lasting all day in the esky

goldtrapper said:
Can you still buy block ice?
You can still buy block ice up here goldtrapper, i think the rat bag that owns the ice factory up here still makes dry ice too, well he did about a year ago

Same herefwdoz i have the 65 litre fridge

Those ice packs mate we found them to be not so good up here, might have been the heat or the humidity they did not like ,they would be in the freezer for weeks and only last half a day and they would be melted and slimy, buggared if i know we might got a bad batch

Use square or rectangular plastic containers as ice blocks . Round PVC tube is not good , wasting space . I use 1 lt. plastic milk containers , the rectangular ones . Or some times use a 2 lt one .

sand surfer said:

Same herefwdoz i have the 65 litre fridge

Those ice packs mate we found them to be not so good up here, might have been the heat or the humidity they did not like ,they would be in the freezer for weeks and only last half a day and they would be melted and slimy, buggared if i know we might got a bad batch

They worked ok in our travels in SA & NSW. Cant speak for hotter climates as we never ventured there. I know I drove 10 hours & they kept everything frozen solid in the back of a hot car. The 12v fridge freezer then came up as a bargain, so bought it. Still going 12 years later & no longer need those blocks

Mike678 said:
Use square or rectangular plastic containers as ice blocks . Round PVC tube is not good , wasting space . I use 1 lt. plastic milk containers , the rectangular ones . Or some times use a 2 lt one .
Nope stubbies fit nicely in the gaps without rolling around, have done the old milk carton trick as well, plus juice bottles. All do the trick.

Latest posts