I love the beach.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The beauty of starting something new is the first time thrills. Today a good example. My first three penny piece ,shilling and florin. What a buzz and as a bonus two six penny pieces in good nick (1941 and 1942). I thought the Adelaide beaches would be pretty well done. How wrong was i and how happy i am about it.

Sa_bogan i am using a Minelab Safari as it was recommended by Miners Den as a good starting dectector an i certainly have no complaints. Cheers Dave :)

DaveG said:
Sa_bogan i am using a Minelab Safari as it was recommended by Miners Den as a good starting dectector an i certainly have no complaints. Cheers Dave :)

HI Dave, a very good detector from what I have read,about mid price range. mbe a bit more complex than a starter unit, like the 305-705.
I am sure you'll have it firing in no time and posting good finds. :cool:

Photo of pre-decimal coins found at the beach as requested. Cheers Dave
1404962856_image.jpg

The Penny (2 down on the left. The half green one with no date.) i hit with electrolysis (another first ) and revealed a date. (1913). Good hobby this a hell of a lot of fun and you learn stuff also. The florin (top right) is my next cleaning project. All the best Dave.
1404969986_image.jpg

1404969986_image.jpg

Jaros all I could find was a 12 volt 500ma power supply amongst my junk. Common table salt (Saxa) for electrolyte. The florin is bubbling away nicely at this time. All the best Dave.

Hey dave, if you want to get it cleaner what I have been doing is using electrolysis then bicarbonate rub down, then soak it in white vinegar for a few days then bicarbonate rub down followed by another round of electrolysis. Gets it all off

Hi there Sa Bogan, when you do a bicarbonate rub down, do you apply it dry or as a wet paste?

I have a number of pre-decimal pennies that I would like to clean up.

Also I have been looking at Vibratory Tumblers (a bit pricey) using crushed walnut shells as the abrasive medium.

Cheers. Monty.

Latest posts