HTY's videos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like metal detecting on the surface you could walk over a shaft that was boarded off in the 1940s and the timber went rotten and you fall down a great deep shaft. You take risks with any hobby some are just more risky than others

Well done mate great rescue nice to see someone helping a roo and not shooting it for once that never would have happened if you didn't go in those shafts keep up the great posts and pictures I realy enjoy them. :D

Me and a mate used to explore caves at the Lerderderg Gorge and seen a koala down a shaft about the same depth going back about 25 years ago. It was to big to get him out so i had my old girl ring the local ranger and he came out and picked us up and we showed him the shaft and i remember him saying, that's one big bloody koala. He looked a bit nervous so he climbed down the ladder and he grabbed it by the back of the neck and koala went berzerk, the ranger was struggling big time but he managed to get it out and i will never forget it the koala looked back down the shaft at the ranger and let go this almighty grunt then casually walked off.
It was one pissed off koala and still today its the biggest one id ever seen.

SC75 said:
Me and a mate used to explore caves at the Lerderderg Gorge and seen a koala down a shaft about the same depth going back about 25 years ago. It was to big to get him out so i had my old girl ring the local ranger and he came out and picked us up and we showed him the shaft and i remember him saying, that's one big bloody koala. He looked a bit nervous so he climbed down the ladder and he grabbed it by the back of the neck and koala went berzerk, the ranger was struggling big time but he managed to get it out and i will never forget it the koala looked back down the shaft at the ranger and let go this almighty grunt then casually walked off.
It was one pissed off koala and still today its the biggest one id ever seen.

Lol sounds like a wombat that fell down a shaft 2 years ago that I helped get out gee it was grumpy lol tough thing too it fell 15 meters luckily there was an old wood platform it landed on because if it went half a meter left or right it would of fallen 75 meters to it's death .

Well done HTY, but that roo is just a joey, he/she probably wouldn't survive on it's own.
You would have been better off taking it to a wildlife rescue carer or putting it down.
Hopefully he/she found it's mum.

On the subject of fauna rescues.
After rescuing several bungarra's in the 80's out of drill holes, (they were the lucky ones because the holes had collapsed at the end of the PVC collar and they didn't slide to the bottom to a certain death) wrote to the then Premier of WA, Richard court.
He pushed the right buttons and legislation was changed in WA to ensure all new drill holes are capped.
As you drive/walk around the goldfields you may have seen the short pieces of black irrigation tube sticking out of the ground. At the end of these there is a cone of concrete plugging the holes. There is also another plastic version.

Also mining companies are no longer permitted to use PVC pipe as haulage road or mining markers.
In the early 90's I found dead Nightjars (hence my pseudo) and one near death at the bottom of one of these markers, resulting in another letter to Government and another legislation change. For those of you who are not familiar with Nightjar's, they are nocturnal. A length of pipe protruding from the ground is a very inviting dark warm place to spend daylight hours sleeping. Unfortunately there is no way they can climb out at nightfall.

Nightjar said:
On the subject of fauna rescues.
After rescuing several bungarra's in the 80's out of drill holes, (they were the lucky ones because the holes had collapsed at the end of the PVC collar and they didn't slide to the bottom to a certain death) wrote to the then Premier of WA, Richard court.
He pushed the right buttons and legislation was changed in WA to ensure all new drill holes are capped.
As you drive/walk around the goldfields you may have seen the short pieces of black irrigation tube sticking out of the ground. At the end of these there is a cone of concrete plugging the holes. There is also another plastic version.

Also mining companies are no longer permitted to use PVC pipe as haulage road or mining markers.
In the early 90's I found dead Nightjars (hence my pseudo) and one near death at the bottom of one of these markers, resulting in another letter to Government and another legislation change. For those of you who are not familiar with Nightjar's, they are nocturnal. A length of pipe protruding from the ground is a very inviting dark warm place to spend daylight hours sleeping. Unfortunately there is no way they can climb out at nightfall.

yeah good job mate hate seeing helpless animals trapped.

Latest posts