Howdy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - first time writer, long time reader!

Love the info on these forums, but never got around to joining until now.

I am a geologist, studied at Ballarat Uni, and got a taste for the gold back then. Many moons have passed, and haven't licked a mineralised rock for work purposes in quite some time. Live in Geelong area and just recently bought a second hand 4500. Been out a few times in the Mt Doran, Blackwood, Enfield and Beaufort areas and uncovered plenty of treasures (22 bullets, nails and a button!). Will be heading out with the kids this school holidays, probably around the Beaufort/Avoca area. If I find a piece I will let you know.

I've got some info to post around using Geovic, creating topo maps with mining activity/gold occurrences/geology etc to export, and then importing them to iphones/ipad apps in georeferenced format so you can actually wander around and see where you are on the map (little blue location service dot on the screen). Its been working well for me, and putting me right on the spot I want to go, unfortunately just not where the gold is at present :mad:

Happy to post this info if anyway is interested, there's a bit in it.

Cheers,

Fever.

Welcome fever, you've come to the right place and as Metamorphic indicated quite a few qualified, almost qualified and just plain uneducated souls (namely me) to shot the wind with.
4500 is the weapon of choice for many, sure you'll do well.
Chers T.

Thanks all. Just realised i said 4500, actually only have a 4000. Still learning how to use it, getting familiar with the settings. Have the standard DD coil and nugget finder elliptical mono. Wish i had more time to get out there.. Will get a 2300 one day in the future (once the 4000 has paid for itself, or so the Mrs says)..

Welcome to PA.

We all wish we had more time on the field. I am also from down Geelong way but try to head up to the goldfields at least one day of every weekend. I think the better half is glad to get rid of me lol.

Main thing is to just get out and enjoy what you are doing.

Welcome to PA Fever, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Cheers, DD

ps that sounds scary " pa fever " :lol: :lol:

question from a newbie - is there a freeform search function in this forum? I cant see a query box anywhere where I can type a search item / key word like a location or detector type?

Latest posts