How to research from home

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm new to all of this (as of Tuesday just past)

I was wondering. I live in Hervey Bay and thinking, how do you search your local area for places to hunt?

Are there things to look for when searching through Google Earth? Rocky structures to keep an eye out for? maps and stories from locals etc.

How do you search your local area for places to prospect?

- Josh

Google is your friend ....
ask google

"hervey bay gold finds "
"history of gold in hervey bay area "
"gold in hervey bay region "
etc , etc , etc.

I use a four stage basic process.

1. Direction - what is the key question I want answered. for example: "What were the richest gold bearing areas around Smithville"
2. Collection. This requires a collection plan, usually run through excel with a list of sub-questions and where I will collect the information from. Example:
a. What are the historical records for gold recovery, type of gold, associated minerals?
b. What were the mining stages - alluvial to deep lead, alluvial only, deep lead only, rush details (numbers, dates, length of rush) etc
c. Land status. Crown, private, on the exempt list, state park, national park, heritage listings etc
d. Mapping. Google earth, Bonzle, Memory Map, Forestry Maps, hard-copy, historic (published and unpublished)
e. Indicators. What is the geology of the area. What types of soils, minerals, vegetation, dykes, faults, water etc was associated with gold.
f. Recce of area by vehicle/foot.
Check local library for hard-copy reference material, Trove (National Library of Aust) for electronic on-line records, State Library (ditto), various Government Depts, local museum and/or historical society, google, private hard copy library and electronic library checked etc etc.
The collection list also involves the dates and places to be or have been visited and/or contacted so there is no double dipping of questions.
3. Processing. Once the information starts to pile up, it is necessary to compile the data into a semblance of order so that the original questions can be answered. For example, a Mining Company Report alone may have answers to numerous questions in their background research because they want to know the same things, who/what/when/where/why/how - the six interrogatives. I also asked the question when reviewing material 'so - what? what does this mean?'
4. Dissemination. A final dot-point of the relevant data I have found which is then checked against the first question to determine if I have answered it or not.

Then the cycle goes around the circle again. Sound complex? It is not - its the same process we would use when buying a car or house, or looking for a fishing spot etc. I need to buy a car - what type? Collect brochures and web data. Collate all the info. make a decision.

Any sort of detecting requires a methodical approach to determine best options. If you fish, you would not use a shark rig to try and get bream from a tidal estuary. Same with detecting - right information for the right spot to get the best result. A desk recce will however only answer some of the questions. Time spent on the ground is never wasted.

Also pays to keep a notebook handy when looking through forums/facebook etc.
Will never be specific X makes the spot info but occasionally people will mention finds in say creeks in a certain area ...... look up the area, what creeks are there in the vicinity, are there known fields in that region, how did the gold get into the creek ..... quite often you'll put 2 and 2 together and realise hey, perhaps it made it's way down this or that gully to get to the creek (perhaps from this or that reef). Remember that most goldfields have been found, the likelihood of finding a completely new one is rare, the ideal is to find something that pricks your imagination and says hey what if ....... the real joy will come when you put 2 and 2 together and find a new little patch in some old-timers old goldfield (I'm still looking but ......).
Good luck with your research and gold hunting,
Tom

One of the best spots to look for info is the local Historical Society. In your case Hervey Bay. They will have old maps, news paper clippings, mine reports and any other thing relating to the area. If you have not got a historical society, then your local councel.
wombat ;)

Thanks all. Wombat, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll be researching now and might find some time to pop down to our historical society for a chat.

- Josh

Ive found some great books in op shops and second hand book stores - but then that is just luck to come across them. I havent researched a particular location yet but I know the genealogical society here in Melbourne has thousands of books on early Australian history and I would try there rather than the local library.

KiwiKaren said:
Ive found some great books in op shops and second hand book stores - but then that is just luck to come across them. I havent researched a particular location yet but I know the genealogical society here in Melbourne has thousands of books on early Australian history and I would try there rather than the local library.
Gold nuggets were picked up of the sides of flinders street in Melbourne back in the day, Trove, Trove, Trove. :)

Latest posts