How to Polish Zebra Rock ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of years ago we visited the Zebra Rock mine in the NT and came away with this piece

1529024325_img_20180615_103224.jpg

1529024325_img_20180615_103241.jpg

1529024325_img_20180615_103314.jpg

1529024325_img_20180615_103320.jpg

It's about 160hx150x60

At the time they showed us how to polish it with, I think, "wet'n'dry" ? sandpaper and then apply some sort of sealant so you could always see the patterns.

Also what would you cut it with, would an angle grinder with a stone cutting disk be ok, I do remember them telling us that they never knew just what would happen if they tried to just split it
cheers Keith

Never use Epoxy, Glue or Varnish on rocks... They will discolour over time and look Ugly.... Using a grinder could work but they are very violent.... Wet and dry, used with lots of water would work.... Or join your local Lapidary/Gem club and use their Gear if one is near you, or ask if someone can polish it for you... Zebra Rock comes up real nice Polished properly....

LW....

When we went to zebra rock gallery on ord river and they told us to use wet and dry. Then spray rock with clear paint. (Spray can) worked a treat and stone still looks good.

Nothing worse than 'Faking' a polish.... Polishing is far superior than 'Spray Clear' any day... :rolleyes: Just a Lapidary point of view.... :cool:

LW....

I've now cut this piece into 2 manageable pieces and have gotten 1 side on 1 piece pretty flat and ready to polish with wet'n'dry
There are some rough sides that I'd like to leave rough but still polish up a bit to show the colours better.
Would a small lambs wool disk with a cutting compound do this if used very gently ?
What sort of cutting/polishing compound should I use ?

Once you've got them to the shape you want then use something the same as what is used to polish Opal, yes wet and dry in various grades then a polishing compound, I've seen 2000 grit wet and dry bring up steel to virtually a mirror finish, but you will need plenty of elbow grease, or a buffing/polishing wheel. Good luck with the Zebra rock it looks very nice when done properly.

cheers dave

I've used wet & dry on serpentine with good results. Start with 600 grit and work my way up to 7000 grit followed by a 5 micron abrasive liquid polish and then the final step is a 1 micron polish (used for polishing scratches from polycarbonate canopies on aircraft). There is a bit of work in the process, but the lustre it produces is worth the effort.

Jeff

snafu said:
I've used wet & dry on serpentine with good results. Start with 600 grit and work my way up to 7000 grit followed by a 5 micron abrasive liquid polish and then the final step is a 1 micron polish (used for polishing scratches from polycarbonate canopies on aircraft). There is a bit of work in the process, but the lustre it produces is worth the effort.

Jeff

Thanks for that, that was the sort of info I was looking for :Y:

Next problem :lol:

I've decided the pieces are just too big and I need to cut them into smaller pieces. The hacksaw works ok, but the actual cut wanders about a bit and the angle grinder I have is only 100mm.and can't get through with 1 cut

I'm hoping there might be a member in the Melbourne s/e or Mornington Pen., that could cut them for me
cheers Keith

Latest posts