How to make beef jerky / recipe

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think the amount of views shows how much we all love good jerky!
I get the butcher to cut a top side steak (little fat) 30 mm thick. Use a good ham knife to cut your desired thicknesses.
Teriyaki makes a good sticky chew.
Best to classify your varying cut sizes on different trays.
Rotate trays, top to bottom every 30mins.
Soak trays immediately after use

Being a former South African , jerky was our
National food ! Its best consumed with a cold beer . Very healthy too. As the meat is not cooked , all the enzymes that are destroyed by the cooking process remain ! Its the best way to get raw protein , just have a look at the size of the Springboks !

And lasts forever out in the field ! Thats how it originated , the old timers discovered it , just the way they discovered all food preservation techniques !

Enjoy

Gunter

I love the stuff!! The problem I have, I've got to taste the finished product for flavour, texture, spiciness......oh, it's all gone :(
Think I need a bigger dehydrator lol

We get a slab of topside from Costco, freeze it for about 1.5hours, then slice it on a vintage meat slicer about 3mm thick.
I generally make a marinade from taste.com.au put everything in a zip lock bag for 24 hours, then add chili seeds once it's in the dehydrator, then dehydrate for about 8 hours.

This time I'm going to do a bush spice jerky, for when I'm out in the bush :drooling:

mudgee hunter said:
Got to love the chilli jerky, but you end up smashed when you have heaps of jerky! Keep chugging.... keep eating.... keep chugging.... sad vicious circle :lol:

Sad vicious circle?
Mate you.....(or I) have a sad life.......haha!
I've got some 200ah batteries from work, tie up a 500w inverter, put them in the ute, set the dehydrator for 8 hours, when im finished detecting, i have a fresh batch....you beauty!!!!

I hate my life.....bahaha!

From a little research on the net, many people recommend the Excalibur brand of dehydrator such as KOOEE! All Natural Snacks. Tasmanian Jerky Pty Ltd.

What brand of Dehydrator do you use and why do you recommend it ?

There is nothing special about the basics of a unit, they just blow gentle warm air over the trays and vent through the top.
Aldi have them now and then for $30!
Just a tiny fan with a small element. Very simple concept. The first time you kick it over with impatience gazing........................................... more gazing...............
Ok, think is going to take a while........... better have a beer........or 2......... 6 pack.........dozen........ nap............more beer...... impatience, taste tests, another hour........... another beer! :lol:

Hint, seperate your fillets to cut size on the trays, thinner smaller pieces dry faster of course. So these trays might be removed earlier than the larger fillets on a seperate tray. Simply rotate bottom to top tray every hour etc for an even dry out.

nucopia said:
From a little research on the net, many people recommend the Excalibur brand of dehydrator such as KOOEE! All Natural Snacks. Tasmanian Jerky Pty Ltd.

What brand of Dehydrator do you use and why do you recommend it ?

It's just an eBay special, no brand name. The fan and element are on the side, so no rotating of the trays, I got this 3 years ago, no problems so far

If you want to go into business, then buy a brand name one, hobby= warm air, gives the same result, but may take longer for the same end result

So I've just done a marinade, the one that's on the first page, also I've ground up some chillies, I'll add these when the meat goes into the dehydrator tomorrow - just sprinkle them over the meat.
Can't wait :drooling:

Used to make jerky about 25 years ago. My kids at the time loved it. Ate it like lollies. Used to get smashed by the coach for using up all her good meat. You lot have me Salivating. Time to get the machine out again and get it running. Beer and jerky on a Friday night watching the footy. Ahhhhh, heaven.

When We lived over seas back in the 90s , I used to get pork and make my own smoked bacon ?
When ever i see a smoker at Aldi It reminds me of those days..
I would love to try my hand at making my own jerkey and from watching videos on the net, you can just about dehydrate any thing and rehydrate it at a latr date , if it is done correctly and sealed properly.. only thing stopping me is lack of knowledge on what dehydrator to buy and its functions and cost..

nucopia said:
When We lived over seas back in the 90s , I used to get pork and make my own smoked bacon ?
When ever i see a smoker at Aldi It reminds me of those days..
I would love to try my hand at making my own jerkey and from watching videos on the net, you can just about dehydrate any thing and rehydrate it at a latr date , if it is done correctly and sealed properly.. only thing stopping me is lack of knowledge on what dehydrator to buy and its functions and cost..

Hi nucopia,
All I did was buy one off eBay, I just got a cheap one, I think it was about $50 delivered, watched a few YouTube vids and I was hooked.

You can also try dehydrating stuff in a fan assisted oven, on a low heat, with the oven door open slightly. Might be worth trying that before splashing out on a dehydrator?

Ok, 6 tray fulls of meat, marinated over night, added freshly grounded chilli flakes on 4 trays, and Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning to the other 2 as the Mrs doesn't like spicy stuff.......leave it for a couple of hours and have a peak to see how it's going.

1556072853_20190424_115628.jpg

Thanks GPX
I have been looking at videos and showed a few to the Digger (wife) she is keen to try one to dehydrate fresh produce , she likes the idea of making her own babana or mango chips and things like that..we have copious amounts of Tomatoes growing in our garden each year that we cant possable eat our selves along with other vegies she and I plant.

Will give ebay a look as well.. cheers :Y:

1556103821_20190424_203251.jpg

That's the finished product for this week's batch, tastes pretty damn good. :playful: :drooling:

Love this stuff. Perfect prospecting snacks lol

Wow your trays look empty have you eaten it all my dehydrater has 5 trays and takes 2kilos of meat and you can not see a gap well done you have inspired me to make a batch again cheers Muk.

Haha, nah, had a couple of tasters lol.
It shrinks a fair bit.
Don't forget to share your recipe with us :drooling:

Latest posts