How much do you trust an engineer?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. German or Swedish Engineering- I'd park my car on it.

Chinese Engineering? You go first then I'll think about it.

Apparently though, if used correctly Glass is an extremely strong material. After the Falklands war the Argentinians installed glass in the bottom of all their warships, so they could inspect their airforce.... :lol:

nothing wrong with Australian (Design) Engineering. We have some of the toughest & strictest regulations in the world.
Our Engineering is on par with the best.
Sometimes tho, fabrication &/or construction can have errors or flaws that get overlooked on inspection & failures happen.
In design, we have multiple levels of self check, formal checks, client review & peer review to ensure things are right.
On rare occasions a design might have a mistake that gets past everyone, but modern software alleviates a lot of risk in the calculations.
You don't see design failures very often on Australia.
that said, im paranoid & I'd never walk on an elevated glass platform or walkway.
Sometimes you cant see a flaw or weakness in glass.
I have an affinity for Terra Firma ;)

Manpa said:
TerraFirma, the firmer it is, the less terror! Im with ya there Manpa
Not sure if it falls under an engineers remit but the there are a lot of unhappy highrise residents in Sydney!
yep, that's a bad one. might take a while yet to determine if its bad foundations, bad construction, or bad design.

Ded Driver said:
Manpa said:
TerraFirma, the firmer it is, the less terror! Im with ya there Manpa
Not sure if it falls under an engineers remit but the there are a lot of unhappy highrise residents in Sydney!
yep, that's a bad one. might take a while yet to determine if its bad foundations, bad construction, or bad design.

Which one ?

Mascot and opal tower is nothing.

There are dozens of new apartment buildings that councils wont issue a certificate of occupancy for because of multiple / major construction defects.

Not pointing the finger at Lebanese or anything but when they borrow money to build it then cant rent any of them out and get sued by buyers who paid off plan deposits , cant afford the repairs to meet building codes and cant pay the finance then how fast does that become a massive shittt storm ?

Ded Driver said:
nothing wrong with Australian (Design) Engineering. We have some of the toughest & strictest regulations in the world.
Our Engineering is on par with the best.
Sometimes tho, fabrication &/or construction can have errors or flaws that get overlooked on inspection & failures happen.
In design, we have multiple levels of self check, formal checks, client review & peer review to ensure things are right.
On rare occasions a design might have a mistake that gets past everyone, but modern software alleviates a lot of risk in the calculations.
You don't see design failures very often on Australia.
that said, im paranoid & I'd never walk on an elevated glass platform or walkway.
Sometimes you cant see a flaw or weakness in glass.
I have an affinity for Terra Firma ;)
Tell the people who have had to vacate buildings in Sydney! Apparently there is investigation into Australia's building industry because of the limited qualifications of many people constructing them (regulations require people who follow them). Then there is the investigation into building cladding.....

Latest posts