How many nuggets your biggest patch produced ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a newbie I just would like to have an idea about how many nuggets your biggest patch produced, I am on my patch near Leonora since one week now, found 41 bits for 11g in an area about 30 meter x 30 meter ( it took heaps of time there is heaps of pieces of tin and birdshot, I dug about 400 holes if not more to get these bits 8.( )
But it was only very little stuff ( smaller 0.04g and bigger 2 grammer all the other ones around 0.10-0.15 )
I keep going as long as I find more around but just wondering if you think it is possible to find some bigger pieces around or it seems to be a patch with only little bits :|

Cheers Gaetan

Reads like your running at ~ 10% gold to finds.....about right to my ears.. :D

As to depth?... research the area for past finds in your area, but from my reading, most gold in WA fields is shallow.

However,.... you won't know you have a 'flyer' that is just laying there waiting, unless you give it a go...

Either a 16/18/20" should give you an idea of any deeper, or, larger nugg's on your patch.

Good hunting... :Y:

Hi Gypsy
I actually checked today on my patch and I think I am closer to 800-1000 holes :D ( but lucky I am All the rubbish were at the surface, but still have to check if it is not a sunbaker :) )

And all the 49 nuggs I got in that patch were at 1 or 2 inch down maximum, even the 2 grammer ( the biggest of the patch ) was only 1 cm down :D

I keep searching, got 8 today for 1,20 g ( I think another detector did that patch previously because I find only very tiny bits 8.( )

Good going on a worked patch is all i can say. :Y:

Are you finding the gold in gravels or packed clay's? Is it a surfaced area, or sloping natural ground?....

The gold will only be as deep as the ground is, so if your finds have bedrock under them, then that's the limit, although heavy equipment may be needed if there is any in the 'ore' at depth.... I'd still run a large coil over the ground once you've completed it with what you have on now, if the soil depth warrants it that is...

You'll walk away and never know otherwise.....(time allowing of course), then you still have the surrounding areas to work as well, so keep at it with the wind at your back and clear sunny days.

I wish you well.

Cheers

We've thought the same thing. Perhaps there's more somewhere else. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)

Leaving gold to find gold doesn't usually work out too well.

We've thought the same thing. Perhaps there's more somewhere else. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :)

Leaving gold to find gold doesn't usually work out too well.

Our biggest patch was square and measured by GPS was right on an acre. It produced just over 300 pieces for 35g and took two weeks with the SDC. The ground already had chain marks east-west, north-south, northeast-southwest, southeast-north-west. It was found by the 7000 and was done over with the 5000 and SDC before we got there. They must have got thousands of nuggets and the total area covered at least five acres. That was two years ago and we went back recently since dozens have been and pulled out another 40g in two weeks off the other side. We'll be back...... :Y:

Hi gypsy and moneybox,

I can't tell you if it is gravel or clay as I am still a newbie but maybe you can see what it is on the photo :)

1498560483_img_0628.jpg

All the nuggets I got were in that dirt at maximum 3 or 4 inches, and at about 10 inches I found something which look the bedrock, very hard ground, I will take some photos tomorrow.

Well done moneybox, 300 is a lot, I have only 63 for the moment lol but today I wanted to check the potential of the ground around and found 4 nuggets by walking a 50 meters straight line away from my patch, so it is very good I think for later. :D

And you're right I know there is plenty of gold around so I have to clean that patch before heading another place, I have still one month and one week free so plenty of time to find some more yellow stuffs :)

Latest posts