How long till your first (nugget).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunting the yellow said:
but i found my first nugget found with a garrett pro pointer in a crevace in a creek it weighted 00.04 of a gram :D

That's a good pickup for a pro pointer, funny but I carry one around when panning to check out holes left by others .... I live in hope :)
Cheers To

Started looking in August this year, using a Whites GMZ. Still looking for my first. I've got some beach stuff, a few dollars here and there. The 2.5 gram picker in my avatar belongs to a friend.... he won it playing squash in Kalgoorlie 20 years ago! I pan more than I swing and have collected about a gram of yellow altogether. But I do have a lifetime of looking to go, so there is always hope!
TT

Teemore said:
Hunting the yellow said:
but i found my first nugget found with a garrett pro pointer in a crevace in a creek it weighted 00.04 of a gram :D

That's a good pickup for a pro pointer, funny but I carry one around when panning to check out holes left by others .... I live in hope :)
Cheers To

you would be surprized how much you can find in someones hole in some caces they have done the hard work for you and then you can have access to the gold bareing gravel layer

TTKooAu said:
Started looking in August this year, using a Whites GMZ. Still looking for my first. I've got some beach stuff, a few dollars here and there. The 2.5 gram picker in my avatar belongs to a friend.... he won it playing squash in Kalgoorlie 20 years ago! I pan more than I swing and have collected about a gram of yellow altogether. But I do have a lifetime of looking to go, so there is always hope!
TT

Hold onto that GMZ mate my wife has found 7 small gold nuggets with her's so far it's such a simple gold detector.

first bit I found was a 16 grammer with the mates extreme in hole that had already been dug but they must have either given up or didn't recheck the hole....then I brought a 3000. took about a year or so to find a 2.4 grammer with it,havent been out much since then but looking forward to the cooler weather next year to give it a workout..

Zuke_Lynzy said:
TTKooAu said:
TT

Hold onto that GMZ mate my wife has found 7 small gold nuggets with her's so far it's such a simple gold detector.

Thanks Zuke, sure will, it's a great little machine!

I have a Eureka Gold Metal Detector, bought it 2 years ago and still nothing to date. Admittedly inexperience and the fact ive only spent 7hrs total swinging I wouldn't expect much. I enjoy panning a bit more.

I have only been out twice and found gold the second time with the help of the fella who's machine I was using...How big does a piece of gold need to be before it's classified as a nugget????

I could have spent 60+ hours for my first nugget
I think a nugget can be picked up with your fingers
Any smaller and it's a flake

Sparra said:
I have only been out twice and found gold the second time with the help of the fella who's machine I was using...How big does a piece of gold need to be before it's classified as a nugget????

Passed onto me by my father.

a spec = 0 to 1 ounce
a slug = 1 ounce to 10 ounces
a nugget = over 10 ounces

Redfin said:
Sparra said:

Passed onto me by my father.

a spec = 0 to 1 ounce
a slug = 1 ounce to 10 ounces
a nugget = over 10 ounces

Would have loved to be around during your dads time Redfin. :p

I would have been over the moon with A SLUG. :D

Even a Spec would keep a smile on my face for weeks. ;)

I certainly havn't got a nugget yet to his specifications, but we soldier on in hope. :lol:

detected high and low for over a year and a half nearly 2 years hours and hours and days on end and sometimes a week at a time for zip before going on a half day paid lesson, found a .5 grammer, that was 10 years ago ! the gold comes now after moving on to a 3500 from a 2100 v2, but would love to know how much i,ve walked over and left behind not listening to the faint ones !!!!
Reading the ground is a continual learning experience,its funny when you find an area,put all your knowledge into finding "the spot" and then land on some hidden diggings,must be thinkin like an old timer sometimes ha ha ha :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Trashy, I've been hunting the yellow since coming back to SA from Tassie, and mate I've not got close. Been to Mt Crawford, but it seems that most of the places that one could go are tied up on private land. As I wont trespass under any circumstances, it does limit the places to go. Its probably easier living in or around the hills but up on the peninsula, the land around here's at flat as a 10c coin and about as devoid of the yellow stuff as the coin. But never mind I soldier on hopeful of some pre-decimal coins around the copper diggings and the old homes. I may get lucky and pick up some gold that came out of the copper mines as well. Who knows! anyway keep on swingin'.

Found my first nugget (0.5g) a couple weeks after i bought my first detector (gpx4500) Was a bit of a curse really as I thought the gold would come easy considering it only took a few hours to unearth my first nugget. Took another 4 months of detecting every other weekend before I found my second nugget (solid 2 grams)
I'm also in SA so not really prime detecting country due to most old diggings being on private land. I've been searching virgin ground for the most part.

I have my GPX4500 and switch between the stock 11" DD coil or a 17" elliptical mono. The virgin ground is a friends farm in the hills. Looks like promising terrain (highly mineralized) but full of trash in areas and so far I've found zero gold there. :(

I am in the "still to find a nugget " camp ! Only been panning 6 months so I guess I shouldn't complain .... 20 odd years ago I said that I should take up looking for gold , now I am finally doing it - do you guys think that it will take long to find my 'first '?
I have seen the Garret Pro pointers - are they a worthwhile investment to a panner ?
Cuckoowaif .

Hey Cuckoowaif, I watched a video of Warren from NQ Explorers demonstrating the pointer, and it seems really easy to use and narrows down the possible search area to right in front of the pointer. When you are detecting, sometimes the search area can be a circle of more than 5 or 6" and in it is a small piece of wire. These things locate the wire at the end of the pointer. RESULT, less time sratching around to find that stupid piece of wire. Sounds good to me. More time to look for my first nugget too.

I spent a month with a Eureka Gold, now have the 5000, but yet to go out with it. So still waiting for the first bit of the yellow stuff.