how far from the diggings can you still find yellow?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know the immediate answer is...... try the area, take samples etc etc......

I haven't got a lot of time and I would need to get permission to go onto the property but I have come across a section of road in NW VIC that passes over a slight hill and the top and one side of the hill is covered in quartz. If it was near to a gold field I wouldn't hesitate to spend time there but it is about 25kms from the closest diggings and well out of the GT. I've had a look at the area on the Geovic map and it doesn't show anything.
What do the experts say on the likelihood of it being worth while?

Stoneage
I don't know VIC, but have a look at Geological maps & see if it has any similarities to the area's that have diggings, 25k is not really that far!
Maybe try panning any gullies that cross the road just to get an idea, a couple of specks & "Game On"
cheers
Lee

Depends on the geology. I know a few spots where I can wash colours of gold from creeks well away from the main goldfields. They creeks are cutting through slate and sandstone, sometimes granite, which is not heavily mineralised, but there can still be locally good patches here and there.

I wouldn't bother spending too much time looking for it if the geology was all wrong. For example for us down here, dolerite is rarely mineralised, permocarboniferous sediments are also barren, and some areas of precambrian quartzite are also useless. They're all general rules, and as you say there is no substitute for heading out with a pan and a shovel.

Thanks guys,

From what I can find/see the geology is promising, I'll get back there with the pan and shovel as soon as I can.

There is no easy way!

Latest posts