How can I make an old canvas tent

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its been a plan of mine for a while to make one of them single man original canvas tens the miners used to use.
I seem to be finding it difficult to figure out the design and I thought there would be a few online..but only dodgy survival tarp tents..

So if anyone has photos or gill pictures showing the tent design and shapes I'd really appreciate it or any input on the design.

Will be held up by sticks / posts.

A but more detail than a simple a frame tent.. more like the military ones is what I'm after I think

It will be heavy.. but it will be oldschool. If I want to keep it light ill try painters tarp

I have a few mates with industrial sewings machines ( vehicle upholstery and parachutes / kites ) and they don't have an issue putting them to use for me.

Any help would be great mate. Its a rather basic setup but the ones I've drawn just seem to lack the same character. Something to do with the front door / flaps..

Will be using basic loops to thread poles through and probably marbles in the tarp tied in with string to use as tiedown points if I can't be bothered sewing too fiddly

I've got a number of old 1940s outdoors and fishing and USA field and stream magazines here Atom, when i get a chance i'll have flick through them, might be something along those lines in them.

SCROUNGER said:
I've got a number of old 1940s outdoors and fishing and USA field and stream magazines here Atom, when i get a chance i'll have flick through them, might be something along those lines in them.
Shaweet!

I have looked on google don't think I'm lazy.. I'm just not finding any good angled images..mostly all front on or side on..no photos inside a tent either have I seen so that would really help too

A lot of the yank ones are either small hunting ones or larger 'safari' type tents. It's great to see camper trailers in some of the old adverts as well. I keep looking mate.

I have been making canvas goods for over 45 years.. In my opinion the best tents are the one pole types.. 4 pegs, one in each corner and one pole in the center... up in a minute... I will be making 2 of them out of a second hand camper cover for my mate and myself sometime soon.. 2.5 mtr base and a one meter sq roof... :)

1440712047_tent.png

You might not need a sewing machine just a shovel, saw and rope, :lol:

Captn

I just can't simply stand using things that are 'cheap' and manufactured at pace. Yes I said cheap. To me a Winnebago is cheap. The brand makes it expensive not the manufacture process. Fair enough the bloke who made the first designs and engineering deserves the credit but when pumped out of a factory 'cheaply' to me it certainly nowdays isn't a 'get what you pay for' situation.

There's nothing that makes me happier than reminding a snobby posh 'lady' that her expensive El Parfume and Swatzkopf Foundation is simply animal guts n feet and dirty old rust on their face..

Gee, i bet that goes down well with the snobby posh ladies Atom :lol: How to win friends and influence people you silver tongue old dog you :lol: :lol:

Latest posts