Holey dollar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not my find,got this from Facebook.Some guy found the coin while digging a fence line.How lucky can you be?No detector just digging a hole.
1465124341_image.jpeg
1465124373_image.jpeg

Brilliant find Eldorado,
He's very lucky, thanks for the share.
Cheers Steve

Moneybox said:
I think he'd better swing a detector over that spot before he rolls out the wire :cool:
You thinking there may have been an old tin full of them hidden there Mb ? :p :p :p

WOW.....from my 2011 guide to coins & banknotes, a later version (1807) from the Mexico Mint (it has P.J. as the letters top left instead of F.M.) which denotes the Holey as being 5 Shillings and a VG (lowest rated) condition is worth $38,000.00. The one above is from the reign of Carolus III whereas the one in my book is from Carolus IIII

The one above looks like it may grade as high as Fine-VFine and a value of between $90,000-$200,000.00

IF real....

There is also a PREMIUM payable IF it happens to have rarer mintmark, date and portraits.... :eek: :cool:

In regards to Australian coinage, they were only produced from 1812-1829 from 40,000 Spanish Dollars and in 1829 they were recalled and melted down.

LESS THAN 300 HOLEYS ARE KNOWN TO EXIST, AND ONLY 100 DUMPS SURVIVE.

IF YOUR LOOKING TO BUY THE ONE ABOVE, I'D DO SOME RESEARCH AND HAVE REPUTABLE & INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY.

Gypsy

When sometimes it seems too good to be true......................maybe it is! Buy hey, we can all dream cant we? Reality is, we probably wouldn't find one around here.

Tassie Daz said:
When sometimes it seems too good to be true......................maybe it is! Buy hey, we can all dream cant we? Reality is, we probably wouldn't find one around here.
UPDATE.My friend who directed me to the Facebook post,told me today that the coin has been looked at by a coin dealer and is believed to be fake.Something to do with it being nowhere near the correct weight of a real one.If it is a fake,it looks to be a pretty good one,if it was faked say 100 or so years ago,shouldn't it still be worth something?

Someone unscrupulous may just say it's a fake in the hope that a real idiot would accept bullion price as payment, or maybe enough for a carton of beer (not suggesting anyone at all is an idiot ) :D

I personally would NOT entrust an Independent Valuation by the likes of a coin "dealer"... when SELLING...'Insurance Valuations' are a different beast and acceptable.

Use a certified company like APGCS (Australian Professional Coin Grading Services) as they are members of the International Grading Services Association (or some such similar) and their reputation imo is higher than street level business men....not all of the latter are bad (in fact perhaps most), but i am a cynic and you know your in trouble when they say "yar mate, it's not worth much, condition, weight...tell ya what, i'll give ya a fiver for your troubles and keep it as a reference piece i can use for instruction to customers....." or similar.

As an addendum to my earlier post, it is unclear from the writing in my guide if the Spanish coinage was minted consecutively from 1812-1829 or if we purchased 'returned to mint for melting' coins of an earlier age.... :8 (ie; if the coins actually had earlier than 1812, say...1788) 8)

Gypsy

Anyone looking to values of finds might also like to have a look here;

http://www.bluesheet.com.au/

It even states under the heading "Expert Valuations"....

[ For just $9.95 we provide you with estimated valuations, gradings, mention any problems evident and check the coins' authenticity (if photos or scans are provided).

Find out about rarities in your collection worth thousands!
Protect yourself from dealers by getting an objective opinion on your collection before selling
Get in depth, impartial market information on coins before purchasing for investments
Use up to 100% of the appraisal fee as commission credit if you on sell the coins through Numis Bid]

Gypsy

Eldorado said:
If it is a fake,it looks to be a pretty good one,if it was faked say 100 or so years ago,shouldn't it still be worth something?

I wouldn't sell it and put it out in the market....this lends FALSE LEGITIMACY to it and only adds to confuse genuine buyers and blemishes the collectors market. Also, a fake is a fake, is a fake....and to me as a collector of sorts, fakes are worth NOTHING.

Have your mate get it Independently valued (even if at a cost) and if it reveals to be fake, frame it and hang it on the wall....(with notation it's a fake so future inheritance recipients are aware and not kill each other over the 'Will')...

EDIT....it IS possible it's genuine, just not an Aussie coin...we had many migrants in the early days and who knows, it just may be a real Spanish Holey (i'm not sure if they did this as well...we did it to spread the value/costs in a new colony, Spain did not have the same issues).

Gypsy

Latest posts