Holden Gone!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They now expect us to import GM now we will pay less for crappy made US models. Oh yeah, that'll happen...

Sw1fty said:
Watching Holden CEO on ABC 24 now

Me too very sad for all. workers in the Motor industries , component manufactures & such.

Me thinks Toyota next !!!

Pity

GM are broke as is Detroit.

Lets just imagine that the aussie dollar is less than US dollar, and we produce cars cheaper than US, wouldn't it make more sense to make them here and export to US?

This is what it will end up costing YOU all.

The modelling worked on a scenario where Australian automotive manufacturing ended over a two-year period from 2017 to 2018.

Government assistance to automotive manufacturing equates to about $18 per person, deemed a very low figure by international standards. A $21.5 billion return equates to $934 per person in benefit.

If Australia lost its automotive manufacturing:
- GDP would be $7.3 billion smaller (in current dollars) by 2018.
- Billions in foreign direct investment would cease, as head offices directed investment to other automotive manufacturing countries.
- Employment losses in Melbourne would equate to some 33,000 jobs in 2018 and about 6,600 in Adelaide. These jobs would eventually return in both cities, but with lower real wages. The employment levels would not return until about 2027 for Melbourne and 2025 for Adelaide.
- The economies of Adelaide and Melbourne would be heavily affected, with gross regional product (GRP) contracted by up to 1.4 per cent and it is likely GRP will be lower than preclosure levels until the end of 2031, while employment could fall by about 1.5 per cent.

These impacts do not include the spill-over effects, including to advanced manufacturing and research and development.

(Source: Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries report)

I rekon it has all been engineered to further continue shutting down industry in our country to make us more and more dependant on the Govt. sucks

I think it is the unions to blame they never stop with pay rises more all the time nuts to kill of industries like this and the liberals should be ashamed of them selves many countries around the world would pay big bucks to have a compony like holden if there was some thing in it for them then the story would change but our polies all like bmw not holden where is the national pride :mad:

Its capitalism, we cant have our cake and eat it too. Look around your house at how much cheap asian made crap is jammed into it made by people who earn $1 per day. It's the future and we are all responsible for it after years of importing from these countries. Its a global economy but make no mistake its serviced by slave labor.

richo966 said:
I drive holden mate I can complain on this issue I have owned 3 holdens and I am 34
I agree on anyone who either works there or buys one having a say, the rest of us are to blame for sure.

I would have never bought a Holden car, I do not like them.

Maybe their problem was the cars they made/paid a lot to top brass/poor advertising to a new generation.

Mind you I am a motorcycle man myself.

Holden already export to the US
They sell the SS (AU$45-56000) to them which is rebadged as a Pontiac and sold for only US$25,000 after they are exported and the US dealers put their margins on top.

No wonder the Aussie auto market is floundring

Don't blame unions, without them we would already be a third world country and the Global Financial Crisis that was caused by bad banking practices and corporate greed, would have driven us to a very bad situation had we not had the money in our pocket to keep business, big and small, running