Holden dead how sad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of a 121 motor,sixs were greys 132-138,reds from 149 i think displacement through to 202,yep reds can be made to go hard depending on the depth of ya pockets.
Ive read where the FX namesake came from and it was something to do with the factory early on,forget the details but i think some employees used the term fx for the 1st model,maybe.....???
Glad ya dont own that EH cause now i can say i think its overpriced,i dont think hed get anything near that, maybe $30k odd but thats my opinion.
Yeah doug might get to drive it over,brakes arent sorted yet but who needs them :D
Ya better half was just here for a coffee also.....

Bush, I had a bedford van in my younger years for carting motorbikes about,we did it all up,it was still a POS in the end,sold it to this private investor in sydney,he fitted dark tinted windows for surveillance etc then rang me up a month later asking if id buy it back cause ya coudnt stop the exhaust fumes entering the back doors,i said no you keep the POS,i went and bought a toyota van.......

Not shore if you were talking about `me` many talk about me on my behalf.
Never had bikes in the back except the day i bought it.
Road the Suzuki GS850G through Sydney traffic to check it out.
Big Storm brewed up and it hadn`t rained for months i knew the roads & round-abouts were going tobe very slippery.
Sort of knew i wouldn`t have made it back in one piece so made the seller an offer taken shoved the Suzzi in back & went back home over the bridge.
Never had a toyota van or did she so whom ever is fraudulently falsifying their identity should be very careful as Defamation is regarded in Australia is taken very seriously & Litigation can be Very Costly.
I was here to talk Gold & Things `i` have Driven ``not Ridden.``
Sounds like someone should get on with their Life & Off my Case.
Only the Turkeys try to pull you down.

There actually was a 138 Red motor mainly fitted to early Torana's and
also used in commercial aplications as in fork lifts.

Had one in a fork lift where I used to work. It lost compression so
a 186 was fitted. Really did not make that much
difference.
Until you reved it up a bit. LOL
A few loads were lost until every one got used to it. :8

The last Red motor I ever had was a proper "HP".
Bored to 196, SSS Cam, Stage 3 Yella Terra, etc.
I have a post about it in here some where.
There were a nice motor to work on and it did not
take much for them to perform.

202's and Blue motors,
Nuh. No Good. Did not like them.

Oh the days.

1583180268_images.jpeg-106.jpg

Correct on the 138 red tath ive read a bit on them somewhere,allways thought the 202s bad reviews were a bit of a old fable,i know the blue and black 202 rods are stronger and similar to the xu1 rods,maybe not the best block to bore for larger displacement though?
No expert on them but there was a 12 port head also,i thought maybe was off those last 202s also,it is preferred by the hot up guys,i was reading one hot build of a red last year and they stated a 173 or 179 was the preferred block to bore,bores a bit thicker....
There is alot of go fast gear still out there for reds etc,custom heads the lot,also theres a few getting about with ford 250 crossflow heads fitted,giddy up.....

Thanks MB I was enjoying this thread but I think I burnt my head heating up the soup. Feet are all good though.

My very first car was an FJ Holden ute with a grey motor in it, back in 1980/81. It ran (just) and was complete with an original Lowline canopy. I was in the process of starting to strip it down to restore it, when the company I worked for moved factory to another town. I was exactly 17 and 9 months so I sold it to a guy I worked with and bought my first motorcycle as I had no other way of getting to work, and 17 & 9 months was the minimum age for a motorcycle learners permit in Vic back then.

My first car to drive once I got my car licence was an HG wagon, followed a couple of years after by an HQ wagon. The HG was a "three on the tree" manual, that one motoring journal once described as "having the feel of a wooden spoon in a bowl of porridge". The HQ was a Tri-Matic auto (pronounced Traumatic), which gave me so much grief I bought a second hand Torana gearbox out of the trading post, bought a bell housing, a different ratio Diff and a tailshaft from the wreckers and a clutch kit from Repco, pulled out all the linkages and pedals from a later model HJ wreck that was sitting in a mates backyard of a house he had just bought, and cut a hole in the floor at the front and converted it to a manual. Where all the linkages mounted on the firewall, there were all the necessary threaded holes waiting to be used, with just a little plastic plug inserted in them for the Automatics that didn't require them.

What amazed me about those old cars was that I used to drive them until the Red oil light came on, and only then top them up. I did the oil pump in one of them once, went to the wreckers and bought a second hand one for the princely sum of $5, made a gasket out of a manila folder from the office at work, and away it went again for another few years of abuse.

I never cared for the Holden Vs Ford thing, my late father was a mechanic and a one-eyed Ford man, but for me when young it was the fact that they were cheap, easy to work on, had parts that were interchangeable on most of the H series models, and spares were a dime a dozen from the wreckers.

My prospecting and hack car now is a BA wagon that gets forced up some pretty rough tracks. I backed into a tree in a tight spot near Dunolly last year and staved the tailgate in. Took it home and popped out the trim, pushed in the spud bar with a rag wrapped around a piece of timber, and "POP!" out she came and you can hardly see where it is now :)

The family car is a respectable Toyota Aurion that Mrs D. wouldn't let me take prospecting anyway

I think the 121 Motor was either a Vauhall 4/6 Cylinder motor that's why you might not of heard of it,

2275 cc I6 ohv
55 bhp (41 kW)
2262 cc I6 ohv
64 bhp (48 kW)
2262 cc I6 ohv
67.5 bhp (50.3 kW)

Hope that helps,

J.

Bush had a bedford van in my younger years for carting motorbikes about,we did it all up,it was still a POS in the end,sold it to this private investor in sydney,he fitted dark tinted windows for surveillance etc then rang me up a month later asking if id buy it back cause ya coudnt stop the exhaust fumes entering the back doors,i said no you keep the POS,i went and bought a toyota van......."
'
Well maybe there was another guy named Bush ?
Nar the 121 was a six cylinder just from memory it was so smashed up i don`t remember what Breed it was.
May have been an early blue motor.
Could have been a custom could have been an import. F-nose. Defiantly a GMH.
Out of this Post now got nothing more to contribute.
Thoroughly Entertaining. :100:

Bush said:
Bush had a bedford van in my younger years for carting motorbikes about,we did it all up,it was still a POS in the end,sold it to this private investor in sydney,he fitted dark tinted windows for surveillance etc then rang me up a month later asking if id buy it back cause ya coudnt stop the exhaust fumes entering the back doors,i said no you keep the POS,i went and bought a toyota van......."
'
Well maybe there was another guy named Bush ?
Nar the 121 was a six cylinder just from memory it was so smashed up i don`t remember what Breed it was.
May have been an early blue motor.
Could have been a custom could have been an import. F-nose. Defiantly a GMH.
Out of this Post now got nothing more to contribute.
Thoroughly Entertaining. :100:

Again the 121 was a 6 Cylinder Vauxhall Motor from 1948/1951 and it was used for well in to the 1950's.

And they also made a 2300cc 4 Cylinder motor as well.

As for holdens, i just find it shameful that Australia has bent over and handed all of our manufacturing to poor countries. I can see the logic of bring the standard of poor countries up, but in the long term, we will become a poor country....