Hill End Camping / Campgrounds - Information & Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to find info on a caravan park at Hill End that has powered camp sites (for tent), but as I haven't been to Hill End for about 14-15 years I'm not sure what's available. Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Nugget

mbasko said:
Theres 2 x camping grounds both with powered sites, showers & toilets. They are run by National Parks. You can't book though - first in best dressed but usually no problem to get a site.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0204
I prefer the Village Campground in Hill End but Glendora is ok too. Just a bit out of the village.

You can fossick/prospect out there at Tambaroora about 6km from Hill End or around the Hill End common. Most tracks are ok for 2wd but if you want to get adventurous 4wd is better. You can also go down the Bridle Track for a poke around.

There is other accommodation out there too for those that don't want to camp etc.

http://www.google.com.au/search?lr=...c.1.51.mobile-gws-hp..0.13.2310.3.SJ7P5ZWcrIM

No caravan park as such but 2 x campgrounds with powered sites available + toilets/showers.

Ah yep, thanks guys. Mbasko I should have refereed back to that post, I'd forgotten about it completely :lol:

$1 coins required for the showers and only about $7 a night without power. Don't know powered site costs.

I stayed at Glendora. There was only on other camper there at the time. Plenty of space and provided fire places, just add you own wood.

They are well set up camp grounds.

You put your $7 in an envelope at the entry gate. You get a sticker from the same envelope to stick on your tent to confirm you have paid.

The showers and amenities are great and it will be the best $1 you have ever spent after a long days prospecting.

I am green with envy, maybe next time!

Cheers

$10 a night per person as I read it. Stayed there about 3 weeks ago, overnight 3 degrees or less.
Friend at Grattai, between Mudgee & hill End saw minus 9 about 2 weeks back.
Might take some woolies.

The predicted overnight forecast is a toasty 1 - 3 degrees, so it'll be a little bit warmer than the -3 -4 when I stayed at Nundle the other week :lol:

Nugget, the rangers are helpful but strict, they come around every day to check on the site payment slips on tents & vans. Every site has its own fire ring for fires, you bring your wood or buy it from a ranger who comes around every day or so, but don't get caught getting it from the national park.
That sharp corner 10 klm out I found June last year & went off into a deep gutter with my camper/trailer on the back, not good, had to get a tow truck from Mudgee.
Cheers Calala.

Village Ground in Warrys Road is the closest to the Royal Hotel and General Store and is thus the most popular. There's about a dozen powered sites on level ground. Powered sites are $10 per person per night and the unpowered ones are $7.00, as mentioned by other members.

Glendora Ground is in Lees Lane and is huge. There's 14 or 15 powered sites with probably 50 or 60 good unpowered sites. Prices are as per the Village Ground. Glendora isn't well patronised and makes for a better and more peaceful time. The downside is there are lots of flies and ant nests there - if you are tenting it, watch where you make camp. In winter the flies aren't much of a problem but the ants will attack if their lairs are disturbed.

If you go bike riding, watch out for maggies - it's that time of the year when they like to dive bomb cyclists.

Ranger Helen is a good sport, she's been there a long long time. The younger ones are a bit power hungry. One wanted me to shift my camp so he could mow the lawn once and I politely told him to get nicked. I think his request was as a result of him being new to the job though I think they've calmed down a bit since then.

I've been camping at Hill End for about 25 years but also once or twice as a kid. It's a good place to camp during school term time as the grounds aren't too crowded and the ablutions are cleaned regularly. I usually get there two or three times a year.

Camping at the Village Ground in winter is good - no flies, no mozzies, no spiders and no snakes. I don't even worry about zipping the tent shut whilst I am in camp.

I should point out that old literature may refer to a third campsite called the Trough Ground. This is near the Bald Hill historic mine but it has been closed to camping for a few years now. It used to get frequented by drunken mugs disrupting the camps of others - a classic case of the few spoiling things for the many.

1583317858_20200302_181024.jpg

This notice was posted at the above campgrounds a few days ago.

Worked at a servo for a couple of years and the policy was to lock dunnies at night.

Gemini clean up in aisle 5 :eek:

Nope above my paygrade. Suggestion leave toilets unlocked cause when they gotta go they go.

It went against company policy but I believe they remain unlocked to this day.

Clean up the lesser of two evils.

Vandals be vandals no matter what so maybe next put a huge cage around the locals or town.

This also affect the some of the locals in a big way not to mention the many campers that stay on the common or down along the turon and come in for a shower;
Many locals do not have running water or electricity and use the showers and washing machine '
Currently there is a charge of $1 per shower and $3 to use the washing machine.
Tourism is down about 80% since NPSW introduced the book online only system last year and this lagtest move will only have a detrimental affect on tourism to the area and for the shop and the pub which at the moment are really struggling to survive.

It is publically owned land and the facillities should be open for all to use

in the end it is just another way of closing down areas the public use for recreation, Bob says it's already down 80% and before long the National parks and Government will just close down the whole thing and say well nobody was using it anyway. :( :pickshovel:

Close down areas and add more parks etc by stealth, they really don't give a rats about what the actual people want or ask for. The only time they even know people exist is before and election, and we get spun the same old same old.

cheers dave

Latest posts