Highbankers, (must haves)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziii

Paul
Reaction score
Been thinking about trying to design & build a highbanker as a bit of a project & as cheap as possible, (not in any hurry), so been checking out a fair few different designs & ideas from other people & have a couple of ideas myself, but being pretty new to it all I would like to know what others think would be the best inclusions/design ideas to include when designing & building one. Even the simple things like having a holder or 2 for snuffer bottles, it all helps.
Myself, I'm after something thats not to big so it can fit in my car (2wd sedan), also weight needs to be kept reasonably low so its easy to manage & carry, probably modify a box trolley for it like I seen on this forum not long ago. I was thinking a sluice section of 1000mm x 250mm would be a good but compact size, maybe 2.0 - 2.5mm thick alloy & a hopper size around 600mm x 240mm with a flared section at the top, thats about as far as I have got at the moment.
Mainly just after ideas that work well & if I can combine them into the one highbanker then it should be a pretty good unit that pretty much anyone could manage & use easily. I would also be mostly using electric bilge pumps because the quietness is good & I'm not needing to process dirt/gravel flat out, you should see me pan, I'm slow as,lol. Its just a hobby so should be enjoyable & relaxing.

Thanks for any help. :)

Saw on another forum a bloke in the Uk always takes a bit of 4x2 with him when sluicing, to hold down his sluice, but it could be handy for other uses. Lol

You need to think of how to make a unit of good size, but collapsible possibly and also not spend half the day putting it together. Quick releases and clamps rather than bolts that need tools, locking hose clamps that are thread free etc.

Usually a highbanker is made so the top folds down and sits on the bottom half. If you make the top hopper small than the bottom and work on an outer hinge that can fold with the design into the lower sluice, it will compact it further. To add length to your lower sluice, sliding sections that slightly decrease in width to fit inside one another and also slide into the lower box ( does that make sense? ). This could also help with design for the unit length to fit in the car as well

I havnt had a go with a barrow / trolley system yet so I can't so much till I try. I keep thinking they could be a hassel and if you can keep the unit on your shoulders instead, may be faster ( but heavy of course ). I've managed to be able to pack mine up in one go but still rather two trips to not kill my back for the day.

Go out of the box and start drawing designs on paper. If you now know the basics or theories behind a sluice, you can easily make your own. Expect to make many designs ;) I sometimes make mini cardboard or wooden ones as a small scale model to examine. I still am, designing mine after 2 years and going... :cool:

Also keep in mind that you may need to modify the sluice for different areas so always think ahead. You can easily clamp on and off extras if designed so

Hope some of this info helps

Oh yeah - Myazma - poor ol GoldGrabber's 4x2 8.( :lol:

Keep an eye out next week for my build.
I have incorporated a lot of these ideas into my design. :)
Including a set of legs that fold in underneath .
Most importantly,
No freaking extrusions or sharp edges that can make it a shocker for carrying. :lol:

Thanks very much, some things to think about there.

AR, yes the top hopper section will be slightly narrower so it fits right down inside the sluice section & hinged, good idea about the sliding extensions, would be well worth doing id it could be made to work well & easily.
I have to use a trolley as my back is a bit buggered from an injury 20+ yrs ago & slowly degrading as well as really bad feet/ankle so the less weight to carry the better.
The main size & shape of the highbanker/sluice is pretty much like any other, but just trying to make a few changes from the norm to make it more user friendly, having clamp type fittings & tool less set up would be a good bonus as well so will have to look into some stuff like that as well.

Tathradj, I'll be sure to check your design out, folding legs would be much better & something I had thought about, just wasn't sure on the best way to go about it.

Matting & riffles etc are something else I was trying to work out, seems alot of different ideas out there so just a matter of trying a few out using expanded mesh, riffles & different matting styles underneath to see how it goes. Going to try a few things on the little Sluicy highbanker we have to work out what will be best.

Thanks again.

Latest posts