HIGH FEVER..!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbuck

Tim
Reaction score
HI

Over the last year or so had a few flash back's of fossicing for gems and panning when I was a kid. Growing up in kyogle nsw , had trips out around tenterfield , glen inns , around the fossicers way camping etc , and also spending weekends on my grandma's 700 acre property south of tabulum , running along on the eastern side of the clarence

All this had led me to revive the urge to dig up stuff :) and maybe we will find something of interest :)

This brings a few Q's

Does anyone know of any gold found on the eastern side of Clarence river ??
The tabulam property is covered in fossilized wood , and years ago found some almost opal looking stuff in seams , any gold found around stuff like that ???

Some of the creeks have cliff banks 5 to 10m tall , one part has a massive tree that is petrified , also I remember seams of coal like rock also.

And does anyone know about or have info about gold around Byron bay area ??? I know about sand mining right along the coast etc.
I have access to a old mine shaft , approx 100m deep maybe more ?? , and hopefully this weekend I will be putting a live camera feed down it , so we can see in live HD what's down there. We already know it has a shaft off to the side.
I can not find any info about any old shafts in the area or gold mining as such. Any idea's would be cool

Tim

Hi Tim
Sounds like an interesting property you have access too. im sure the elite on this forum will advise you soon enough of the dangers and be able to answer your questions.....
But i will chip in my 2 cents and see how close i am to the mark...

I take it the mine shaft is on top of hill/ mountain or their abouts, the old timers would have found this reef by loaming and then once found they followed the reef down chasing the gold, i would say there would of been gold there otherwise they wouldnt of dug so deep. the side shaft sounds like another reef branching off the main one, again they would of found this by loaming and was probably found this reef first before the one on top. so to me thats a good indication that there was definetly gold in them there hills... to find the the reefs they would have followed the trail from the river and up the gully.
so maybe down in the valley and along the flats you might see mullock heaps or indications that the old timers were there.
Do you have a metal detector? if so check in the valleys leading up to the mines and search the flats for alluvial gold.
have a look on this site you will find a maps of all the old fields in NSW, you may find yours on it too. that may be a good starting point to learn more about it.
How am i doing guys?
anyway get some pics of the mines and surrounding areas and start putting them up here so everyone can see what it is your looking at, it helps alot

good luck and be careful
Rod

Welcome to Prospecting Australia Tim and best of luck it all.

Just a heads up though, your questions are probably better asked in the relevant sections as not everyone frequents Introductions, they'll get more replies that way.

I'm certainly no expert but that sounds pretty right to me Rod ;)

Nugget.

Hi Rodstar
Yes this is how the old boy's found reef's but not all of them, they would have tested any reef outcropping with the dolly pot & pan.
I have been told by a reliable source that in the Towers field there were very few men prospecting by "Loaming" & that most of the reef's were found by outcropping.
But you are on the right track with the method you mentioned.

Latest posts