High-Banking Simply Stated

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey jemba these housings are rubber they arent supposed to last forver but you can do them alot of good by keeping them wet, a bit of wd40 on the outside (primary fish oil) will help the rubber last. just an fyi i know you ar4e a tinkerer like me :)

Yes mate that is what this game is about thinking, the aim of my last post was to inform people they can save money by going no name in the pump range. As stated you can spend $800 on a pump then you can expect to spend more money on that pump down the line. Where as if you got a no name pump for around $200 you could get 3 new pumps for the money spent on one.
Cheers Jemba

how often do you guy do a clean up on your highbankers / sluices??
seen people shutting down ever 2hours to do a clean up some do a clean every 10 buckets and so on..
what do you guys do or do you have a rule of thumb

ben2363 said:
how often do you guy do a clean up on your highbankers / sluices??
seen people shutting down ever 2hours to do a clean up some do a clean every 10 buckets and so on..
what do you guys do or do you have a rule of thumb

Depends on too many variables such as type of material being processed , how much fine heavies there are , how fast you shovel through it , how fine / flat / coarse the gold is , what kind of catch media you're using .....

Forget rule of thumb , develop a feel for it by experience for each location you're at .

Improve other factors first like the right slope and water feed for the type of matting / riffles you have , then fine tune your clean up frequency to suit the gold . If it's coarse you will probably go longer between clean ups.

Some people shovel 5 buckets a day , some shovel 8 cubic meters a day , so many variables :)

as Headsup stated no rules with highbanking that suit every spot know your gear know your angles know your capture rates and change to suit.

YEAH! .. :cool: Great stuff.. I would concur with all that you have said mate. Iwas always a fan of the plumbers shovel we have about three or four we travel with.. but lately I've been using the 'TRUPER'..i posted a pic on a post awhile ago. these are made in Mexico...American Ash handle flared as per the one you pictured and with just the right gooseneck angle..for me... the good thing is... $14.99 at bunnings... well made good grade of steel but with a unique'semi round spade like combo at the shovel mouth particularlly useful when removing overburden on benched deposits ..cuts cleanly through the grasses and topsoils very good in gravels as well..I'll find the pic and post here for yers :p

here's the 'Tuper'
1476101793_p1010015.jpg

Sorry fellas i've somehow goofed up this should be in Jembaicumbenes post Highbanking simply stated...mods could you overlook my mistake and move it to there please...pretty please :8 :p

Found the mod for a shovel that another member posted ages ago,thanks to that member, so just passing the info on; bend the edges of an ordinary garden long handle shovel with heat, finished width is the same as a post hole shovel. Works extreamly well for digging under water in a creek, material does not wash off the sides as easy.

1476146338_2016-10-10_001_003-optimized.jpg

1476146381_2016-10-10_001_004-optimized.jpg

Now that is a good idea indeed. Reefer mate i like the look of that shovel. cheers Jemba

Hi everyone look out for these shovels as they are poor quality
I got a Trojan shovel used it twice (7 hours) and it snapped at base
Then my dad got a trouper shovel 5 weeks ago and used it 5 times highbanking about 20hours and it snapped clean off also.
Just a warning.
thanks fishing for gold

1476169580_win_20161011_09_40_09_pro.jpg

Ps pretty hard keeping the high banker full with your hands. Lol

YEAH! Come to think of it i had to buy a handle here some years ago...for me plumbers shovel, the replacement was actually marked
spotted gum ...(Eucalyptus maculata.)..you see them growing by the roadside at South Nowra...that handle is as good as the day i bought it..have had to give it a light sand and a splash of Linseed over the years :cool: I was excited about the American Ash, as i've owned the odd baseball bat made from it and they lasted to this day!(the base ball bat has the makers logo on the 'flat' of the grain)... so as when you strike the ball it is contacting on the (edge) of the grain which is much more able to withstand the impact of the strike....So I think the manufacturers of the Truper have erred in not producing there shovels with the handles orientated in that fashion. I'd have to agree though the aussie hardwood is the go...thing is i really like the versatility of the Truper-blade..might go out and get me a hardwood one as an eventual backup :cool: i could not believe your luck with the two you pictured for us Fishing for Gold...in my tin of tools which i drag around in me Cruiser, i've got a wood rasp and a short panel saw :p if youse had had them as well, you migh have been able to do do a quick fix on em' :cool:

yeah mate ..but i can understand the average punter is just looking for a shovel and expects to get value for money..whatever price he pays!.. Pity these tool companies don't look at all the angles before they put there products out there.Regards to you limpalot. Rossco

Latest posts