high bankers river sluices VS clays

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a lot of the videos i watch show some high bankers and sluices in action in gravely and pebbely country which begs me to ask the question how do these go if your digging out dirt in a creek bed or river section and hit clays,most of the creeks around my area in the GT have high levels of clay sitting in the base of the creek between reef rock and large rocks i attempted once to use a home made high banker and found that the clays seemed to build up in the base of the banker creating a false bottom which i assumed would then let gold bounce along the top and out the end of the sluice,while attempting this scenario one day an elderly fellow passed by stopped and asked me how i was doing i explained the basics to him he casually smiled and replied "wont work around here son, thats for the high country boys and their pebble bound creeks, down here its all about AGGITATION and DURATION" the longer you can hold onto the dirt and wash the more chance you have of breaking the clays and extracting the gold, to remedie this some machines i have built and building are large heavy and quite robust in design certainly making them unafordable to your average joe and way past portable...........do you think the ole timer was right? are high bankers and some sluice boxes really just for gravelly creeks and streams....? 8)

To be honest I haven't had to deal to with much clay, but just receiving my Walbanker yesterday I can see possibilities using this design for breaking it up.

Once the clay rich material is dropped into the hopper, it would sit on the forward facing classifier breaking down under the constant water pressure (duration) and back and forth motion of the hand rake (agitation). It would remain on the classifying screen until it's either broken down or been manually raked off. With a standard grizzly config the clay would get a quick wash and either get stuck in the grizzly or fall out the back of the highbanker.

A river sluice isn't going to work in this type of scenario and is definitely better suited to the gravelly soils.

Now I have a question, has anyone successfully processed clay rich material in their Walbanker?

I've only managed to get out for 1 full day with my Walbanker so far, but the material I was running contained quite a bit of dense blue clay... and can definitely say as far as highbankers go, the Walbanker is probably one of the most efficient/capable designs for dealing with the clay - in just the way you've described Nugget. I think perhaps the only other thing that might help is to have less angle and more throttle, so that the clay has more time to get saturated and break up. But all in all I've found that the Walbanker most certainly can handle clay if used right!

Latest posts