Hi.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.rsa

Steve
Reaction score
Hi all,

Started out looking for a simple beeper to locate arrows on the archery field after losing a couple of very expensive X10's ($50 or so each) under the grass - new bow that had to be sighted in. I used a Garrett Ace 250 down at the archery club and it pinged an alternating signal for iron/pulltab (my arrows have a stainless steel point with a thin aluminium tube under the carbon fibre outer tube).

After reading through a heap of posts and now want something a bit more for a swing on the beach as well as the arrow location stuff, so probably something like the X-terra 705. Not really thinking of going for gold at this stage and the PI detectors are out of my price range.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi steve.rsa. The 705 will pick a lot more pull tabs and metal but for gold these days you really do need a PI Detector as it searches deeper.
If you are very lucky and find a spot which has been overlooked by thousands of detectorists you might strike a nugget with a 705.
I personally couldn't afford a newer Minelab so i purchased a modified Army PI mine detector, the Minelab F1A4. I now comes with varying levels of mods. and i have the Mod2. I personally haven't heard many complaints about it but it does cost $2.5k upwards-maybe check on eBay for a 2nd hand one.
Good luck with your arrow hunts.
Jaros :p

ACE250s work just fine Steve, depends how you hold your mouth is all, I find a cheesy grin works best for me. :lol:

Hi Steve
Xterra 705 gold is a good detector ONCE you get used to it.It will pick up a 0.35g nugget down to about 3 inch in mild mineralized soil.Ive had one for 2 yrs and still learning how to use it.

Latest posts