Hi From Us Newbies :-)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning everyone, hope you have received a bit of rain over the past few days to break the heat we're all currently experiencing :)

We are Katie & Paul and live in Emu Park - near Yeppoon, on the coast from Rockhampton in the Central QLD area. We've been interested in crystals for several years now and love all the "pretties" in the Crystal/New Age shops. We'd really like to find some specimens of our own & do understand that we will never find everything as a lot in the shops come from other countries, but have been told that specimens such as Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Smoky Quartz & Citrine are a few of the gems we can find in QLD.

We spend a couple of weekends camping in the Agnes Water area each year and have heard that you can fossic in the Lowmead and another area up near Townsville, so we're thinking about having a camp around those areas in 2017 when it's a damn site cooler!!!! :cool: Also thinking of going out to Mt Hay & spend a day playing/scouting around too.

We're just basically interested in crystals and talking to people with the same interest. Have a great Sunday everybody :lol:

Welcome kp-mitch
Emu park is a nice little coastal town. We currently in Gracemere but heading back into Rocky in the next few months as we are there almost every single day.
Mt hay is good but is mostly thunder eggs. They bring the dirt from the mountain side up to an area where everyone goes through it. They do always bring up new soil but not the same as digging it yyourself. There was an incident many years ago where an area was undermined and collapsed so that's why it is brought up. They have a really good collection of rocks and minerals in their display cabinets which is worth a look.
Have you tried to go to Rubyvale out west a little? I Haven't really gone out myself but very keen to though the young family is priority at the moment.
Anyway welcome to the forum and I am sure you will get all the answers you need as there are many good people on here. Plenty of laughs!
Regards
DM

Thnx for the welcome DT. We went to Rubyvale a few years back but we were just crusing the western area. My hubbie Paul said I HAVE to tell you the story re our very short & brief visit to Rubyvale!!! Someone told me to be careful where you walk at Rubyvale as there as so many claims out there you'd get shot if you walked on the wrong block of dirt. So yeah I was nieve, wouldn't even get out of the car to have a pee!!! :D

That I would believe kp! Many a shot gun out that way I would assume. I just bought a tector of my mate in Cairns a few months back so still very new to it all but have been interested in rocks and minerals for a very long time. There are some wonderful specimens from around the world as you mentioned and only looked not long ago actually down at the Agnes store.
Would really like to get into sluicing etc for gold but really just like to get outdoors when I can.
As I have just reached 40 I need to establish all these little hobbies so I can do them comfortably in 10 years time. Ha! Happy prospecting. :D

Latest posts