hi everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Long time lurker first time poster. I'd just like to start by saying this forum is great. I can see that you are all very respectful and helpful to one another and I'm happy to be a part of this finally.

I'm a cairns local, born and bred. My great great grandfather came here from cornwall in the mid 1800s chasing the gold stuff. He first went to Croydon then onto the Palmer and finally settled in the tablelands around peeramon.

I've been into prospecting since I was a very small child and I've never lost that love. Unfortunately, it's only in the past couple of years I have actually learnt a thing or 2 or even properly practiced it.

I'm a weekend warrior (when I can) and I love getting out camping. To me prospecting is not just finding gold, but being self sufficient and getting away from the rest race.
From what I can tell, 90% of the guys on here feel the same way.

I usually hike and camp solo, as I don't have any friends who share my passion for this.

Anyway, I love having a chat, so I will leave it at that for the time being.

I hope to get to know you all and learn from you and share what I have learnt.

Cheers.

-Scratchy

Welcome Scratchy.
You certainly seem to have the best outlook for prospecting. It's not all about the gold, it's about the journey. Getting out away in the bush.
Plenty of good advice and great people on the forum. Best of luck with it.

Cheers

Ramjet

Hi Scratchy welcome. It's a beautiful place, the Australian bush. Awe inspiring nights under the stars, rivers and creeks flowing wildlife everywhere.
Gotta luv it. Its even better when your wife has the same interests.
Cheers ;)

Gday scratchy, Hope you have some luck out there in the field getting some color! It would be great if we could push a button and turn back time to hear the stories our fathers fathers would have to tell us. I too have a great grandfather who was in the middle of the rushes and had his own gold claim / mine years ago.

Take care out there mate, I am sure you will have heaps of fun on the adventures ;)

Welcome Scratchy, good to see another Cairns prospector on here. We are getting a few now, they catch up once a month generally. This months meet is an over nighter up the Palmer river near Maytown on the 25th and 26th. Check out the members meet section.

Cheers Ron

Latest posts