Hi All

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly

Paul
Reaction score
Hi All

Pauly from Newcastle. Some may know me from other sites. I guess we are all the same, stuck with gold in our eyes and the fevers set in.

Welcome aboard Pauly, hope you find this forum as informative, if not more so, than the other sites out there. We have a unique following of prospectors more willing to share their experience than do " most " other forums out there, and that's why many of us have also jumped ship, so to speak. Look forward to seeing which area the fever has struck you most, and we all hope to gain something from your experiences...Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks wal

Ive been digging through the posts and must say im impressed at how open everybody is. Im the sort of bloke who if I find something Ill tell ya where and how lol.

You have me very interested in the Sapphires down south because I love the gold but my wife and daughters love the colours mainly garnets and Sapphires. The only place ive found so far that covers us all is Uralla but the stones we find are small. Ive been looking at camping sites down there to se if we cant find some pretties to test out my the highbanker im making, nearly finished. Im a bit worried Ive made a mistake having the highbacker self classify down to 1/4 inch but time will tell.

Welcome Pauly, the forum has a large following from the Hunter Valley, so if your ever looking for someone to head out with you've come to the right place ;)

I noticed the high hunter content. Im not a detector mainly wet fossicker but I figure most are into some form of wet fossicking so look forward to some met and greets.

Pauly said:
Thanks wal

Ive been digging through the posts and must say im impressed at how open everybody is. Im the sort of bloke who if I find something Ill tell ya where and how lol.

You have me very interested in the Sapphires down south because I love the gold but my wife and daughters love the colours mainly garnets and Sapphires. The only place ive found so far that covers us all is Uralla but the stones we find are small. Ive been looking at camping sites down there to se if we cant find some pretties to test out my the highbanker im making, nearly finished. Im a bit worried Ive made a mistake having the highbacker self classify down to 1/4 inch but time will tell.

Hi Pauly, self classifying down to 1/4 is exactly what you want to do if you're chasing gold only, as many run grizly bars which let a lot of large flat stones through into the sluice. These flat stones slide down the box creating large suction vortexes behind them and that drags a lot of the smaller gold with it. My own boxes also classify down to about 1cm x 1cm, like yours, and the stones going through tend to be rounded, thus create very little vortex and hence don't drag gold with them. If you was to use it for sapphires as well you would really need a forward classifying screen which lets you check for sapphires and gems before discarding....Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts