Hi all From Mark

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballsup

Mark
Reaction score
G'day, am in Vic for a couple of weeks visiting friends and family (I live in NZ these days). Used to be a keen detector and started 20 odd years ago with a Whites coinmaster, a Garrett which I never got the hang of and a couple of old Minelab VLF machines. The minelab became my weapon of choice after trying them all out. (Oh, got the detectors all together at an auction). Eventually I bought a Sov and it paid for itself in about 6 months just finding coins. Was in the Airforce and was based in WA at the time. Went on many trips north to old diggings and only found one nugget in that time, 15 gram, on a well trodden footpath of all places! Hi to DaBilda, I was posted to Adelaide and joined the detecting club there and they were a great bunch went on a field trip I recall to some place where there was copper and found a few pieces, others found chinese coins etc. Other hunts where marked coins were planted as well, great fun social days!

NZ North Island is not a great place unfortunately to detect for gold, did get asked once to find a lost engagement ring on a beach about three days after it had been lost and actually managed to find it, but that is about all I have done in the last 7 years. Very heavily mineralised black sand there and their 10, 20 and 50 cent coins are steel (Magnetic) so I lost some interest.

Something has woken in me again so while here I would like to try one of the Vic goldfields and get some time on a GPX 5000 - I have googled and see that Ballart/Bendigo way there is 3 hour instruction and use of detector for a day. Picked up a Miners right here in Geelong yesterday, am in Geelong till the 17th June so if anyone can suggest an area to try my luck at (2 wheel drive car only) I would appreciate. Tried to buy a map or 2 yesterday but the only shop in Geelong that sells them was closed. Cheers, Mark

G,day Mate and welcome,, Hang in there as there are plenty of Vic's on the forum ,,I Hope one will offer a hand and help You out !!

L/R

Thanks Land Rover, going to check the map shop out again. Hope it wont rain too much when I do get out there! Cheers Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark, The "Triangle" is a great place for a detecting holiday and gives you a very good chance at a nugget. Most of the detecting shops in the triangle hire out the 5000's for their courses, and are also a good place to ask for advice on the best spots to give you an even chance on some gold.

Surprised you mention in NZ that the 10, 20, & 50c are steel (Magnetic), as the ones we dig up here are the same composition as ours. Can't be steel or they would rust. Best of luck on your trip and hope you get a nugget to take back home.

Cheers Wal.

are you going to hire a GPX5000 rather than buying an elcheapo detector second hand ?

i know you can resell the detector and probably not lose more than a couple of hundred but i would try to have the GPX if twas me , its all good exercise though :)

have you detected in the South Island there ? , i am sure its been thrashed but 40 years ago i saw a guy with a trommel and excavator taking hundreds of ounces in a good week from the Greymouth River

WalnLiz said:
Welcome to the forum Mark, The "Triangle" is a great place for a detecting holiday and gives you a very good chance at a nugget. Most of the detecting shops in the triangle hire out the 5000's for their courses, and are also a good place to ask for advice on the best spots to give you an even chance on some gold.

Surprised you mention in NZ that the 10, 20, & 50c are steel (Magnetic), as the ones we dig up here are the same composition as ours. Can't be steel or they would rust. Best of luck on your trip and hope you get a nugget to take back home.

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal, It was about 2006 or 2007 they changed the coins - there are no 5c anymore either. Have given some coins to my brothers kids and they have had some fun with them with magnets. Before 2006 they were the same composition as Aussie coins. Their 1 and 2 dollar coins are the same, though different in size than the Aussie ones.

No luck on a map as yet, thanks for the site advice hope they steer me in the right direction! I believe that the detecting stores have maps so will head down this Friday. Cheers, Mark

There are a few places in the South Island, I believe south and inland of Dunedin is another area...Not managed to go down that way except for business so far. I want to try the GPX5000 - The SD2000 was new on the scene back in the day and I never got the chance to use one in the field, so want to see what the latest and best does! May still buy a cheapie as well for a bit of fun outside the goldfields and pass it on the the rellies and use whenever I do visit. Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark , i'm in Geelong and have recently brought my first detector and was completely addicted from the first time I fired it up !! There's a few spots worth while in the Brisbane ranges ( 20 mins away ) , will let you know if I get some off work !! Cheers Rick

Rickd said:
Hi Mark , i'm in Geelong and have recently brought my first detector and was completely addicted from the first time I fired it up !! There's a few spots worth while in the Brisbane ranges ( 20 mins away ) , will let you know if I get some off work !! Cheers Rick

Hi Rick, sounds great thanks - though have yet to hire a detector am heading up to Bendigo Friday morning for the lessons and see how things go. Map shop open today so spent a few bob to give me an idea where to go in the golden triangle! That dolphin torch as a sand scoop sounds like a great idea - need to read more of the posts here! Cheers Mark Hmm, not sure if I am allowed to put a phone number here? Am based out of Lara at my brothers home.

Hey Ballsup, it's probably not a good idea to post your phone number on a public forum (for your own protection of privacy). You're only 4 posts away from being able to send private messages so it might be worth doing it that way.

Cheers,
Nugget

Latest posts