Hi all - A bit about me and old Tanjil area in West Gippsland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently joined this forum. I'd like to introduce myself, my name is John B, an old-timer, I'm now 74 years old. I'm glad to see some young blood interested in prospecting. I now live in Melbourne but grew up in Gippsland. I started prospecting in the late 1970s, mainly in West Gippsland. My brother and I would leave on a Friday afternoon after work and return on Sunday. I love the great outdoors. I first heard about the area around Willow Grove in West Gippsland from my father when he use to cut timber there in the 1950s and 1960s. I managed to get some history and some maps from the then Mines Department (no longer called the Mines Department). I found the area very interesting. There is a mixture of alluvial, reef and deep lead mining in this area. My brother and I took the old Garret Groundhog detector (old technology!) one weekend and went through the tunnels under the ancient riverbed but no success was forthcoming. We met up with a guy who was dredging there at the time on the Tanjil river, we had never seen a dredge before, he told us he imported it from the U.S. We were surprised to see he had gold in the sluice and plenty of it, salt and pepper to finger-nail size. This is where my story in gold prospecting begins.

Thanks
John

g'day John...sounds like a interesting place...lots of great stories and info here..cheers

Gday john, Its great to have an old timer on board mate, I see you saw my video mate, I didnt know what that place was called so cheers mate. Do you still get out much mate?

hello john b nice intro it's great to hear storys from old timers look forward to hearing some if your keen to share. do you still get out prospecting.

Hi JohnB - very nice intro. Tanjil is a great spot. Hope this map brings back memories for you.

1381232071_tanjil.png

Hi John,
Welcome to the forum.
It's a nice area with some cool history - if you know where you're looking.
Yes, the Tanjil is where the good gold was but as usual, that river is on the no-go list :mad:
The area that was the richest is now under water :( - Blue Rock Dam

People have gone to the surrounding area a lot over the years & whilst colour can still be found, you gotto work hard for it & put up with a lot of steep over grown area & tigers...

As per most areas - the easiest to access are the most flogged out & hard to get colour from now.

Hi Johnb, welcome to the forum. I have a friend that lives in Tanjil Bren and I love the area. I hope I see you around.

Computer has been dodgy for the last two weeks. I neglected to say in my last post that the waters in the Blue Rock Dam cover the best of the Gold Prospecting Area in the Tanjil river. Just a bit of useless information, when it was legal, my brother and I dredged an area known as Swedes Flat ,working on a dyke in that river, we recovered about 4 ounces of Gold that weekend.

Loamer thank you for posting the map of Tanjil Goldfield, it brings back memories.

Thanks
John

Hi Guys, I'm new on here, this is my first post.. been doing some research on the goldfields up in this area- neerim, noojie, tanjil.. ect. I am keen to know any information you guys may be willing to share. I now live in drouin and I am keen to get out with my detector when I get a chance, but being new to the whole detecting thing, I need a hand to get pointed in the right direction. If anyone can give me a hand would be much appreciated!!! :)

RobertE said:
Hi Guys, I'm new on here, this is my first post.. been doing some research on the goldfields up in this area- neerim, noojie, tanjil.. ect. I am keen to know any information you guys may be willing to share. I now live in drouin and I am keen to get out with my detector when I get a chance, but being new to the whole detecting thing, I need a hand to get pointed in the right direction. If anyone can give me a hand would be much appreciated!!! :)
Hi RobertE, what sort of detector do you have. I'm also in Drouin. Are you new to detecting only or do you also look for alluvial gold.

Nice to meet you! :) Newby here also. I started with a garrett too! May as well use a stick! lol :lol:

Jin said:
RobertE said:
Hi RobertE, what sort of detector do you have. I'm also in Drouin. Are you new to detecting only or do you also look for alluvial gold.

I am fairly new at detecting. Been hitting beaches and a couple parks, but keen to find some of the yellow stuff! I am using a Minelab SDC2300. Pretty keen to get out and see what this area has to offer. I know its no golden triangle, but surely there is some stuff out here still!!
Would you be keen on sharing what you know about the area? Could arrange a trip out some time.

hi guys
well you wouldn't believe this but as a kid l used to live at Moe, but left for work in the early 70's l now live at lilydale
wish l had known a bit more about tanjil than l did. actually used to fish out that way.
today l'm a gold junky love panning for the stuff, found my first nugget a few months back, 7.15 grammer oh shit what a buzz
l'm interested in teaming up with a like mined person in the hunt for gold around tanjil and that area. as a retired guy times not a problem
if anyones interested
cheers all

Latest posts