Help on quartz/rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1467011509_snapchat-248293452969350014.jpg
1467011536_snapchat-1962329165106576747.jpg

Its a bubble texture and they look to have formed together. I was thinking agate but havent seen anything joined in way these have. I wonder what would have been on the inside

Hard to be certain by photos but it looks very similar to a piece of chalcedony I have. The back of mine is deeply pitted bubble agate while what looks like "icing on the cake" on the front side is a bunch of quartz crystals, stream-worn right down.

I keep thinking about cabbing mine because the "cake frosting" side sparkles like druzy quartz even though the crystals are worn to stumps. Might look effective domed and polished but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Ok, my dad found it on his property. We have only just started to do this sort of thing he is finding a lot of different coloured rocks and match-head size zircons. The property lines the base of a mountain range and has found little relics in caves and such as well.

Would you have a set of accurate scales nearby? Doing the specific gravity test will certainly help I'd unknown minerals. Ill grab the url for info on it. Looks kinda like a tourmaline / rubellite but I think its got the wrong cleavage.

Looks a bit like a garnet actually. I have seen them in that purplish shade. Can't really tell from a photo of course.

Looks a bit like rhodolite/pyrope garnet to me, a general area would go a long way to identifying it also. It doesn't look like tourmaline to me. It could possibly be a ruby.

The stone seems to exhibit a bit of pleochroism in those 2 photos which actually makes me wonder if it is actually a garnet or something else entirely such as ruby or spinel though it does look kind of the wrong colour to me to be either of those.

Hopefully Barney (Kingsolomon) will take a look at it for you.

No worries, its from west nowra/ berry nsw. Not many areas to fossick unless you have a property or permission. Ive researched abit about this area but not much has come up at all apart from agates and different rocks. The local ranger told me people have found gems there but he was not into fossicking/prospecting so couldn't tell me what types.