Help ID these finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok here are some more finds I've made in the last few days that I can't identify.
1397787842_image.jpg

Any ideas?

Bullet like object in the middle? Any idea of size?. The bullet thing almost looks like a pinfire pistol cartridge but without an idea of size its hard. If it is a pinfire the post is missing and the shell should be brass with a lead bullet head. Might be way off but i used to own antique revolvers that took pinfire ammo.

middle right - sole of a ladies boot? Is that leather with metal studs? The context of what type of area and if all together may help.

Robert Le Mal said:
Bullet like object in the middle? Any idea of size?. The bullet thing almost looks like a pinfire pistol cartridge but without an idea of size its hard. If it is a pinfire the post is missing and the shell should be brass with a lead bullet head. Might be way off but i used to own antique revolvers that took pinfire ammo.

Thanks Robert, yes it's hollow and I tried it to my mouth and was a perfect fit :)

And yes it's a bullet and is just as you explained. I was hoping someone could give me some details on it, so thanks again.
Here's a pic for size comparison.
1397819700_image.jpg

I'd love to find a pre 1900's weapon :)

loamer said:
middle right - sole of a ladies boot? Is that leather with metal studs? The context of what type of area and if all together may help.
It's some kind of metal with small holes going around it.
The area is a site of an old rural homestead that existed from the mid 1800's to the late 1800's.
It has been farm land ever since.

The homestead belonged to this guy http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/angel-henry-2891
All the finds so far have shown to be from that era, but I can't rule out later farm items being in the mix.

Here's a pic of my best finds from the location including four 1800's pennies.

Win! My mother in law thinks the middle right object might be the latch off a suitcase.... I am not so sure. As for pinfire revolvers you could get small 5mm ladies revolvers with folding triggers (to be concealed in purses etc) i owned one of those and a Spanish made revolver that was something like 11mm if I remember correctly. Years ago in Vic you didnt need a licence for revolvers made before 1900 that took blackpowder ammo that wasnt commerciallly available anymore. Pinfire is the evolutionary step between percussion cap n ball revolvers and those that used sealed cartridge ammo. Also 'roughly' where did you find this stuff?

Ahh - that makes sense. the round (bullet) looks like almost like a Martini-Henri (we find 100s on the goldfields of Vic). Domestic for the rest. Any broken crockery and bottles? There may be an old rubbish dump, well, or long drop dunny that may have bottles etc. They are cracking finds. Very nice and exploitable site. ;) Good pics too!!

Loamer, Martini-Henry I think is post 1874. You may be find Schneider conversion rounds? These are 577 minnie bullets with with a straight brass cartridge. Martini- Henry is a 577 brass cartridge necked down to a 45 cal slug. I own an original MH and formerly owned a fired an 1864 dated 3 band Enfield rifled musket.

Also Stoney pls ignore my question about location. Crap internet access from fone in rural NSW.

Robert Le Mal said:
Win! My mother in law thinks the middle right object might be the latch off a suitcase.... I am not so sure. As for pinfire revolvers you could get small 5mm ladies revolvers with folding triggers (to be concealed in purses etc) i owned one of those and a Spanish made revolver that was something like 11mm if I remember correctly. Years ago in Vic you didnt need a licence for revolvers made before 1900 that took blackpowder ammo that wasnt commerciallly available anymore. Pinfire is the evolutionary step between percussion cap n ball revolvers and those that used sealed cartridge ammo. Also 'roughly' where did you find this stuff?

It's located near Wagga Wagga on my family's property. In the link I posted, it's the last place that Henry Angel lived and died. He was my first ancestor to arrive in Australia as a convict and the land has been in the family ever since.

The naval button i found has been fascinating me, from what I've learned it's a royal British naval button.
The only time Henry was associated with the Royal Navy was when he was transported here on the Neptune, and then later when he was assigned to Hume and Hovell, Hume being a British naval captain.
I know it's a long shot, but it's great just thinking about how it may have got to be there.

loamer said:
Ahh - that makes sense. the round (bullet) looks like almost like a Martini-Henri (we find 100s on the goldfields of Vic). Domestic for the rest. Any broken crockery and bottles? There may be an old rubbish dump, well, or long drop dunny that may have bottles etc. They are cracking finds. Very nice and exploitable site. ;) Good pics too!!

Yes there are at least two large areas I have found that contain heaps of broken pottery, glass and some really nice looking china.
Best so far has been this Enos glass lid.
1397822125_image.jpg

Robert Le Mal said:
Loamer, Martini-Henry I think is post 1874. You may be find Schneider conversion rounds? These are 577 minnie bullets with with a straight brass cartridge. Martini- Henry is a 577 brass cartridge necked down to a 45 cal slug. I own an original MH and formerly owned a fired an 1864 dated 3 band Enfield rifled musket.

Also Stoney pls ignore my question about location. Crap internet access from fone in rural NSW.

Copy mate.

Robert Le Mal said:

No worries :)
Are you any where near the Riverina?

far right is part of a cricket buckle. I have found several complete pieces.

top left (circle) is off a wagon. screws in to let the reigns or rope through.

bullet - looks like a cap and ball pistol round.

middle bottom looks like its off part of a door or window lock.

I was just doing some research on a cricket buckle I dug, and I found this.
1400747616_image.jpg

The item in my original post centre right, looks similar to the sides of the above buckle.

Dutchy said:
far right is part of a cricket buckle. I have found several complete pieces.

top left (circle) is off a wagon. screws in to let the reigns or rope through.

bullet - looks like a cap and ball pistol round.

middle bottom looks like its off part of a door or window lock.

I'm sorry Dutchy, I didn't see your post :lol: I picked an appropriate user name apparently :lol:

Looks like you found my post on another forum! See now that's what it should look like. I had to glue the little bat back on as it was lying in the bottom of the hole. Cool find.

Dutchy (Jarhead)