Hello

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, we live in SA and are new to this. My husband and l have retired recently and have just purchased our motorhome so we can travel this beautiful country of ours. As we will be travelling we thought why not try prospecting as a hobby and a form of exercise. We currently have a cheap metal detector that I purchased years ago (a toy, good for surface findings of tin really). So we are here for tips, advice and share our experiences as we progress along. Cheers Nadene and Stephen 😊

I hope you have your average daily water usage as per showers all adied in- washing--always carry at least 5l of drinking water-at least-better more than less. This always a good spot to rethink the canned foods you like like spag in a tin baked beans and if the fridge is powered by solar some frozen -e.g. snags and steak sangas.--missed the bacon.
Always carry the water as coffee dehydrates you--if you only have gas for a cooker always carry a cupple of boxes of matches as the inner Aus continent can be a few degrees below freezing protection at this time if the year=minus 2degrees plus "c" at this time of year. Strange but some people forget about gathering firewood and setting up weather protection. Like it was -2 deg "c"at Warwick in Qld 2 nights ago.
Stay safe and think ahead.

'

Hi Nadene and Stephen. Welcome and congratulations on you new venture with a motor home. Like many life can be a bit empty without something to capture our interest, time, and energy after retirement.
As important as fitting out your motor home with the conveniences for life on the road is equipping yourselves with the tools that can cater for your interests that will keep you occupied mentally and physically wherever you may go.
For me those tools are a good fishing outfit, my gold pan and detector and a small astrophotography rig and good binoculars to take advantage of the wonderful night skies. You will no doubt have your own interests.
As far as prospecting goes I would worry that a cheap detector may be an interest killer for you. Before you hit the road maybe think about hunting around and spending a little extra to get a detector that will produce the goods for you, something like a good used SDC 2300. To be brutally honest investing in a good quality detector which you can always resell if you want to upgrade can be just as if not cheaper than a cheap detector that nobody may want secondhand.
Be warned though it is highly addictive after you find your first bit of gold. Good luck and success in your travels.

Last edited:
Hi Nadene and Stephen. Welcome and congratulations on you new venture with a motor home. Like many life can be a bit empty after without something to capture our interest, time, and energy after retirement.
As important as fitting out your motor home with the conveniences for life on the road is equipping yourselves with the tools that can cater for your interests that will keep you occupied mentally and physically wherever you may go.
For me those tools are a good fishing outfit, my gold pan and detector and a small astrophotography rig to take advantage of the wonderful night skies.
As far as prospecting goes I would worry that a cheap detector may be an interest killer for you. Before you hit the road maybe think about hunting around and spending a little extra to get a detector that will produce the goods for you, something like a good used SDC 2300.
Be warned though it is highly addictive after you find your first bit of gold.
Hi Hawker,
Yes we are definitely going to purchase a good detector. Looking forward to finding our first piece of gold 😊

I hope you have your average daily water usage as per showers all adied in- washing--always carry at least 5l of drinking water-at least-better more than less. This always a good spot to rethink the canned foods you like like spag in a tin baked beans and if the fridge is powered by solar some frozen -e.g. snags and steak sangas.--missed the bacon.
Always carry the water as coffee dehydrates you--if you only have gas for a cooker always carry a cupple of boxes of matches as the inner Aus continent can be a few degrees below freezing protection at this time if the year=minus 2degrees plus "c" at this time of year. Strange but some people forget about gathering firewood and setting up weather protection. Like it was -2 deg "c"at Warwick in Qld 2 nights ago.
Stay safe and think ahead.

'
Hi Jaros, we always have drinking water with us wherever we go plus we are equipped to go off grid in our motorhome 😊

Hi all, we live in SA and are new to this. My husband and l have retired recently and have just purchased our motorhome so we can travel this beautiful country of ours. As we will be travelling we thought why not try prospecting as a hobby and a form of exercise. We currently have a cheap metal detector that I purchased years ago (a toy, good for surface findings of tin really). So we are here for tips, advice and share our experiences as we progress along. Cheers Nadene and Stephen 😊
Welcome and good luck 😉

Latest posts