Hello, Keira from NSW (various places) in Cairns QLD now

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I live in Cairns but have done some panning around Goulburn NSW and Sth VIC and have a few flakes and some good memories to show for my time scrimmaging round.
I'm keen to have a pan around up this way, happy for weekend camping trips and day trips. I run a Super Sluice and a 6mm mesh tray which seems to work, not in it really to get rich just love geology and therefore fossicking, panning, digging :D
Any hints/tips on where to go for a bit of colour would be great, as I said just out for the fun of it but as with fishing its nice to get a tiny bite now and then to keep the interest up!! haha

If u can find a spot around the Palmer River that u can safely go (lease or property owners ok ) there is still plenty of gold left . But also plenty of signs saying no detectors allowed . When on the Palmer obey all ouur regulations or u can disapear . Not too far fro Caines .

This is not the best
i could not do a screen shot
Cairns is at the extreme 3 o clock
hope this helps
1500948502_101_68101.jpg

philbert21 said:
If u can find a spot around the Palmer River that u can safely go (lease or property owners ok ) there is still plenty of gold left . But also plenty of signs saying no detectors allowed . When on the Palmer obey all ouur regulations or u can disapear . Not too far fro Caines .
Ok i will play the game what do you mean disappear ??????????? :eek: :eek:

Do you mean if you do the wrong thing someone will make you 'disappear'? Or obey the regulations or you can bugger off? It's safe to go out there isn't it?

Marksman thankyou very much for your map, been looking at a few of the places on google earth. Wright Creek just South of Mt Sheridan is so close too!

Just remember what is on the hill side washes down the the creeks and rivers and with al, the rain up there you should be ok
Try doing a few pans under bridges as you drive around that might give you a indercation what is around

A prospector was murdered up there and body never found because he did not have permission to prospect the property . Well I think it w.as there .

philbert21 said:
A prospector was murdered up there and body never found because he did not have permission to prospect the property . Well I think it w.as there .
Mate.
Think you should get your head around the story and facts.
Yes marksman.
They where charged and found guilty of the crime.
Tho they never found the body.
Hints the No body No parole trend on this forum.

Hi Epixy
Welcome to Cairns and the forum

Cairns is a great place to live and plenty of places to explore and
there is a few creeks and rivers in the area where you can find some colour

The Palmer area is a interesting place to visit with its history and some good books about it are, Chasing the rainbow and River of gold
But it is not a day trip from Cairns more a long weekend thing.

If you would like any more info, email or message me

Cheers Greg

Latest posts