Hello from FNQ

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all from the far north Queensland, I'm new to this site and I've read many post on so many different topics and it's been very interesting indeed. Within 30 km of my home base there are more than 30 ( old mines, some over 80 years old. also some old army sites from ww2) that I'd like to explore for fun and fitness. My research has included reading books from the local library ( most over 60 years old ) and reviewing info from some local historical societys.

I have contacted the mines dept Queensland for more upto date info on some if these old mines and looking to get more detailed map as well.

So I'm keen to get started and need to purchase a metal detector for coin and gold prospecting and I'm thinking of buying an Equinox 800 ( that's where my budget falls atm ). Would interested users give up their opinions here.

So thanks for taking the time tead my post.

Dazzy :D

I've seen some interesting 3D maps like memory maps, but the site is down when tried from my mobile phone. Currently using bonzle maps for topography but its only in 2D and it would be nice to view from a 3D perspecting so that I can determine the degree of difficulty when travelling.

So whats out there the user can use for detailed maps?

Havent got my Equinox 800 yet, maybe 2moro. Can the NOX reliably filter the garbage sounds from say bottle caps and ring pulls?

If your detecting in gold mode will the NOX still detect iron ( metal and coins ) or vice versa if your searching for coins will it locate gold?

thanks

Dazzy :D

Hey Dazzy and welcome,

The NOX will be a great tool for searching around mine sites and army camps for relics, with the added bonus that it might pick up some gold too.

I have used my NOX 800 around an old reef mine and found many relics (coins, buttons, badges etc.) and also snagged a gold specimen operating in FIELD 2 mode. Yes you can reliably tell ferrous (iron) from non-ferrous targets and with a bit of practice even guess the size and depth of targets. Experienced operators use a combination of audio tones and target ID to accurately predict targets, but you will probably dig a lot of bottle tops and ring pulls before you get to that level.

GOLD mode is an All-Metal mode so it will sound off on iron and metal as well although you can notch these out. I tried using GOLD mode around the reefs but I was getting too many false signals from highly mineralised ground, things might be different for you up in FNQ though.

Thanks to all you guys and I sure you will see my post on many different topics throughout the forum. :D

Latest posts