Hello Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just joined yesterday. My name is Les and I am from Batemans Bay. I recently retired and have decided that it is now time to get into a hobby that always appealed to me.

I purchased a pan, did some research and then jumped in. Youtube and the net are top teachers. I have started spending some time around Mogo. Even though the area has been heavily worked over the past 150 years, it is still great being out in the bush in a beautiful part of the world. Finding the odd spec is just a bonus. Unfortunately I found a .27g piece on my third outing. For a while my expectations were high but eventually reality set in........

I am finding that the learning curve is huge. To find any specs in the creek that I am working requires a lot of test panning. Some patterns are starting to emerge but I still get surprised as to where a few specs can be found. A lot of time is spent scratching my head.

Just finished building an 8 inch sluice. I "fell in" in relation to a sluice mat ad and purchased a dream mat. Wasn't sure as to how it would go but was exceptionally pleased as to its performance. I brought home a bucked of classified gravel and ran it through the sluice. Clean up took about 1 minute. Only recovered a couple of specs but after panning the gravel, no more gold was found.

I am now saving for a detector. Would prefer to wait until I can get a good one. Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated. I would be spending a lot of time working the local area.

I would also like to make contact with some people who work the local area. It is always interesting comparing notes, refining techniques and learning new skills. I look forward to participating in a number of forum discussions. This web site is both interesting and informative.

Cheers

Les

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Doug, I actually considered Lessgold as a name but I am trying to be positive. That name WILL NOT be required in the future. LOL

CHeers

Les

1492129486_sluice_front.jpg

Hope the image came through.

Cheers

Les

Hi LesGold,
Welcome aboard.
I am really going to have to start thinking about
organizing another South coast Meetup
as we now have quite a few members in the area now.
EuroBodalla Shire Council has come on Board as a
Fossicking District as from yesterday.
That covers all of the Shire.
The announcement is in the Local Paper. :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. The unit works well on classified material and also handles larger material as long as someone stands next to the sluice and picks the rocks out. The idea of meeting other like minded souls in the area would be a top idea. It would be a chance to see how other members go about their trade, compare notes, techniques and ideas.

Tathradj, what does it mean for fossickers now that the Eurobodalla area has this classification?

By the way, you have a lovely coastline down in your neck of the woods. Spent many hours on Wapengo chasing flatties over the years. A mate liked the area so much, he bought 100 acres within walking distance of the lake. He tells me that there was a lot of gold activity in the area in the past.

Cheers

Les

Latest posts