Hello Everyone - Brand New Fossicker from Lake Macquarie, NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Simon Thomason
Reaction score
Seasons greetings to all.

My wife has bought me a Minelab X-Terra 705 Metal Detector (Gold Pack) for Christmas. Very lucky me!!

This device is brand new to me (us) and it was purchased with the thought that we could take it on our caravan trips around Oz and maybe find some gold/coins/artefacts along the way.

I have been practicing in the backyard over the Christmas break with gold coins, silver coins, aluminium foil, nails etc., just to get used to the feel and sound of the device and now I feel somewhat 'confident' to venture down to the local park to see what I can find in the way of coins etc. Still feel a bit embarrassed to do that though....... :8

Having joined this forum only yesterday (01 Jan 2014), I have found that all the comments posted here are very positive and encouraging to all those who take the time to read and respond to the posts. I value the comments/photos that loamer has put up on this site. He does speak with a vast knowledge base of both past and present gold prospecting. Personally, I find those posts a fantastic introduction to this fascinating world of prospecting, as well as the other posts with photos, sketches and details. Brilliant place to start to learn and understand.

Anyway, back to the 705. I do understand that this is pretty much an entry level detector and that there are limitations to its usefulness. I would like to ask those in the know, your thoughts on maximising my (our) use of the 705 and where it would be most suitable to use. Would NSW be a good place to start?

I have enquired to Miners Den, Sydney about a demo day, but I believe they are currently be on Christmas break and have not replied as yet. Do you think that these demos are of value? I have seen some outlets (in Victoria) offering field trips, half and full day (plus longer). In your opinion(s) can these be of value and who would you recommend?

We look forward to your feedback and to learn about prospecting.

Cheers and Happy Digging

Monty

G'day monty, welcome to a great forum. You are a lucky chap scoring a 705 for christmas. They may be an entry level machine (I think there 1 step from an entry level machine, entry level machines are the ones that cost a $1,000,00 and under in my opinion) but they do a good job. You'll get heaps of advice on how to use it from the members on here. My advice is don't give up if you're only finding junk, keep at it, learn the machine inside and out and soon enough the treasure will appear. Good luck
:) Mick

Hi Monty.
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of prospecting.
I'm glad you have found the posts informative,.
There is a huge ammount of valuable information to be found here.
I don't know your detector but I'm sure the members familiar with it will be along to give you some tips and advice.
Best of luck with it.

Cheers

Ramjet

axeman said:
G'day monty, welcome to a great forum. You are a lucky chap scoring a 705 for christmas. They may be an entry level machine (I think there 1 step from an entry level machine, entry level machines are the ones that cost a $1,000,00 and under in my opinion) but they do a good job. You'll get heaps of advice on how to use it from the members on here. My advice is don't give up if you're only finding junk, keep at it, learn the machine inside and out and soon enough the treasure will appear. Good luck
:) Mick

Hi Axeman, thanks for sayin' G'Day. Found that I still have a lot of research to do - maps, areas, possible sites etc. But I am beginning to learn, which is the main thing. Cheers. Monty.

Ramjet said:
Hi Monty.
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of prospecting.
I'm glad you have found the posts informative,.
There is a huge ammount of valuable information to be found here.
I don't know your detector but I'm sure the members familiar with it will be along to give you some tips and advice.
Best of luck with it.

Cheers

Ramjet

Hi Ramjet. The information here is excellent. I can see long hours ahead in the computer, well into the night. All in the name of research of course! Cheers. Monty.

Welcome to our forum Monty! There are plenty of people detecting around the Hunter area. I've used the 705 extensively and it is a great machine. There are a few of us that meet and detect at various locations around Newcastle and you're more than welcome to come along. Just contact me through the P.M. section our our forum.

Welcome to the forum Monty. The new detector is sure to get a real workout on your caravan trips around Ozz. Hope the forum provides some enlightening reading and look forward to hearing about your adventures....best of luck out there,

Cheers Wal.

Scoopa said:
Welcome to our forum Monty! There are plenty of people detecting around the Hunter area. I've used the 705 extensively and it is a great machine. There are a few of us that meet and detect at various locations around Newcastle and you're more than welcome to come along. Just contact me through the P.M. section our our forum.

Hi Scoopa. Thanks for the welcome. Good to hear you are in the Hunter Area. Will have to catch up and go and detect with your group soon. I will be asking a lot of newbie type questions, if you can put up with that :8 Not sure how to contact you through the PM section though, but I will try and work it out. Cheers Monty.

WalnLiz said:
Welcome to the forum Monty. The new detector is sure to get a real workout on your caravan trips around Ozz. Hope the forum provides some enlightening reading and look forward to hearing about your adventures....best of luck out there,

Cheers Wal.

Hi Wal. Thanks for the welcome. I am already planning our next trip away with the van (and detector). Currently studying the areas in NSW where gold has previously been found. Did not realise that we had travelled through so many of these towns, unaware of the mining history that has occurred. Looks like we will be re-visiting quite a number of places across NSW (and Victoria and SA). Have not had the van over in WA yet, but that will be on the bucket list. Cheers Monty.

Latest posts