Heavy Handed TT. Pt 2..... it's all in the coil lead.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTKooAu

Grant Westbrook
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing on from my previous post about breaking my GMZ coil retaining bolt.....

Well I was putting the machine back together with the new parts and noticed a crack in one of the plastic brackets molded onto the coil where the bolt connects the lower rod. It ran from the bolt hole to the outer edge. Bugger.. :mad: ... *smacks self*. So some super-glue in the crack...... that's not going to last long..... So copied the shape of the plastic bracket and cut the same shape from some hard but flexible 2mm PVC sheet. Add the bolt hole to it...... super-glued to the outside of the existing bracket to act as a compo plate..... (wondering if I could get it poly welded on, or would that be too hot and damage the coil?)

Put the machine back together again.....seems good.
Spent a good deal of time and care rewinding the coil lead to the shaft.... Condor22 had pointed out that I had a bit of looseness at the bottom which would account for the false signals I had been getting.
Headed for Jupiter Creek. Turned it on in the car park and I was getting false signals immediately, even pointing it at the sky......
Just by doing a slow steady sweep over a grassed area I was getting false signals every 2 or 3 inches..... bloody frustrating..... not even worth venturing inside the park.
I really thought I had a major problem with the coil.... like something inside was loose. Stopped at a playground on the way home. Same story on wood chips, falsing wildly.
Went onto Google and read a little article about keeping the loops of the lead away from the coil as much as possible, so I re-wound the lead, this time keeping it straight up the shaft for about 10 inches, then only 1 wind up to the end of the lower rod, then tightly wound for the whole of the top shaft...... Brilliant, took it out for a run this morning and it was silent as a lamb except for the gold coins... woohoo!

Happy TT now. :lol:

Great to hear you got that sorted TT!

That would've caused a bit of slight panic to anyone that has used a detector before. Nothing worse than something not working as expected. Glad it was a straight forward fix!

Happy hunting!
Cheers,
Shauno.

TTKooAu said:
Continuing on from my previous post about breaking my GMZ coil retaining bolt.....

Well I was putting the machine back together with the new parts and noticed a crack in one of the plastic brackets molded onto the coil where the bolt connects the lower rod. It ran from the bolt hole to the outer edge. Bugger.. :mad: ... *smacks self*. So some super-glue in the crack...... that's not going to last long..... So copied the shape of the plastic bracket and cut the same shape from some hard but flexible 2mm PVC sheet. Add the bolt hole to it...... super-glued to the outside of the existing bracket to act as a compo plate..... (wondering if I could get it poly welded on, or would that be too hot and damage the coil?)

Put the machine back together again.....seems good.
Spent a good deal of time and care rewinding the coil lead to the shaft.... Condor22 had pointed out that I had a bit of looseness at the bottom which would account for the false signals I had been getting.
Headed for Jupiter Creek. Turned it on in the car park and I was getting false signals immediately, even pointing it at the sky......
Just by doing a slow steady sweep over a grassed area I was getting false signals every 2 or 3 inches..... bloody frustrating..... not even worth venturing inside the park.
I really thought I had a major problem with the coil.... like something inside was loose. Stopped at a playground on the way home. Same story on wood chips, falsing wildly.
Went onto Google and read a little article about keeping the loops of the lead away from the coil as much as possible, so I re-wound the lead, this time keeping it straight up the shaft for about 10 inches, then only 1 wind up to the end of the lower rod, then tightly wound for the whole of the top shaft...... Brilliant, took it out for a run this morning and it was silent as a lamb except for the gold coins... woohoo!

Happy TT now. :lol:

Have been using PI's for years especially on the water with a whites PI 1000 and a Garrett Sea Hunter.

My technician taught me this trick and its how I wire up my cables on a PI anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

One thing I got told earlier this year was, nip the wingnut up to you required tension for detecting, but when you put the detector away loosen it to relieve the pressure on the brackets of the coil.

Latest posts