Headphones and ear probs.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieAu

I’m a bloke
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In recent times Ive had a couple of bouts of ear infections, which eventually I get sorted with some prescribed drops.
While trying to fathom out the reason for it recurring, its come to my notice that it seems to happen after I have been wearing my detecting headphones for long stints at a time. Perhaps the hot and humid environment inside your headphones can be a potential breeding ground for bacteria to get to work.
Anyone else have a similar experience with wearing headphones in summer?
And how can you sterilise them between uses ?
Cheers.

You can use hand sanitiser (or any 70% alcohol solution) on your headphones, but the problem is more that your ear canals are a perfect breeding ground for bugs when they are occluded for great lengths of time. My suggestion would be to take your headphones off for 10 mins or so every hour to let some fresh air into your ear canals :)

OzzieAu said:
In recent times Ive had a couple of bouts of ear infections, which eventually I get sorted with some prescribed drops.
While trying to fathom out the reason for it recurring, its come to my notice that it seems to happen after I have been wearing my detecting headphones for long stints at a time. Perhaps the hot and humid environment inside your headphones can be a potential breeding ground for bacteria to get to work.
Anyone else have a similar experience with wearing headphones in summer?
And how can you sterilise them between uses ?
Cheers.
I am no expert but think the problem bacteria is already in your ear and the humidity from the head phones gets them multiplying. If you use an ear bud to clean them it can have the effect of cramming more wax and dirt further down in your ear canal and compacting it. A better way to clean them is getting a large syringe with warm sterilised water to wash it out but only after checking there isn't some underlying infection that you would need medication for. I can see why you don't like the tropics. I love the humid weather but then I don't handle the cold so well.

I use hearing aids as well so the problem can be more severe during hot weather .

I use Audisol ear wax remover every couple of days, seems to do the trick.

As for sterilising headphones .... not sure the plastics/leather for the pads would take too kindly to that type of thing, they'll probably perish quicker and as the problem is inside .... better to concentrate on keeping the ear canal clear (think there's also something you can use for what they call "swimmers ear".

Most important don't trust any of our suggestions, check with you chemist or doctor.

Goldfreak said:
A vibrating patch on a detector handle grip instead of headphone would be a much better design imho. The next generation of detectors should incorporate it.
Actually my Multi Kruzer and Simplex detectors both have vibrating functions, but its the target tones that determine to dig or not as the target IDs are not always accurate..... so you still need your lug holes to work :lol:

Years of scuba diving and heading bush prospecting using headphones guaranteed me ear problems.
The medical profession described it as divers/tropical ear. I actually carried a handkerchief to dry my ears out when they blocked up with liquid.
And then external speakers arrived, have never used headphones since and have never had a recurrence of ear problems.

I find the Diving Headphones to be OK.. Yes you need to your ears breath but very handy when you just need be sterilising; as no cloths or foam to trap bugs.

OzzieAu said:
Goldfreak said:
A vibrating patch on a detector handle grip instead of headphone would be a much better design imho. The next generation of detectors should incorporate it.
Actually my Multi Kruzer and Simplex detectors both have vibrating functions, but its the target tones that determine to dig or not as the target IDs are not always accurate..... so you still need your lug holes to work :lol:
Three fingers.... for three tones (individual vibration). End up jusy carying a light stick and a knuckle duster with all the wireless gear in ya backpack. At least you could still detect next to noisy trucks and tractors then. :D
edit... lads recon make it tingle up and down your spine when it's a good target lol :p

Latest posts