Heading up to Bingara.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a couple of weeks away from heading up for a few day's trip to Bingara.

ABSOLUTELY no idea what to expect there. Apparently there's a public fossicking area, like an old mine or something. Not sure about metal detecting prospects, or if it's just panning alubial stuff in the creeks. Don't know about the water levels or anything.

Has anyone been there recently? Is it a good spot?

Baz.

No water in the New England region... not sure if Bingara is in 'New England' but I think they would be in dire need of some also...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
No water in the New England region... not sure if Bingara is in 'New England' but I think they would be in dire need of some also...

LW...

Thanks mate. I'll try some phone calls up that way.

Baz.

There are 2 bridges at bingara, in between them is a park and toilets, there is a big sign there with a map for directions to the fossicking area's.
There are more if you research the site you get your miners right from.
There is a water station setup for campers to. Coin operated but really cheap.

I personally dont know the spots and the area at all but used to speak with a guy 20 odds years back who use to do very well around Bingarra , I remember him saying a lot of what he found was crystallized gold , he was using a GoldBug 1 at the time so I'm sure using newer machines in the right areas would be worthwhile.
Gaz

Thanks gang. Any snippet of information helps.

I'm in the middle of ripping down my garage and carport to make way for the new hangar/workshop for the Viper, so I forgot to ring them today. I'll try again tomorrow before I pull the tools out.

Baz.

There's the Three Creeks gold mine at Bingara where you can pan, I've heard it's pretty good but haven't been there. There's Ruby Hill which doesn't actually have rubies, it has garnets and sapphires supposedly, I tried there one time and got a few very small garnets but no sapphs.

Billabong Blue is just out of Inverell which is only about an hour and a half from Bingara, you'll more than likely get a few nice stones there if you were to drive there for a go.

Staggy Creek is near Copeton Dam and is a public fossicking area for diamonds and tourmaline. Bingara has a few diamond deposits too but I'm not sure if they are on private property or crown land.

Have a look at the minview website and that will have nearly every known deposit of minerals marked on a map.

I'm currently camped in Bingara on the Gwyder river at this very moment. The river was flowing when I arrived on Saturday because the Copeton dam was still releasing water but that was stopped yesterday and the river level has dropped significantly. All of the surrounding creeks are dustbowls, as are the paddocks.

There is potable water still available at the dump point next to the caravan park and it seems that the minimum you can pay for is $1.00 for 3,000 litres. I topped up a 20L jerry can several days ago and had to pay $1.00. That didn't bother me given the scarcity of water, but I am rather puzzled by the council's continuing liberal use of water for some of their gardens and lawns.

I've visited several known local gold fields but have not thought them worthwhile to have a swing. I have also taken bucket samples from several dry creek beds and brought them back to camp and panned them off ... again with absolutely no sign of any colour.

Whilst it's been a bit unproductive I have enjoyed my stay here. There is also an abundance of free bush camping available here if you're self sufficient.

I hope your stay here will be more fruitful.

:)
Heatho said:
There's the Three Creeks gold mine at Bingara where you can pan, I've heard it's pretty good but haven't been there. There's Ruby Hill which doesn't actually have rubies, it has garnets and sapphires supposedly, I tried there one time and got a few very small garnets but no sapphs.

Billabong Blue is just out of Inverell which is only about an hour and a half from Bingara, you'll more than likely get a few nice stones there if you were to drive there for a go.

Staggy Creek is near Copeton Dam and is a public fossicking area for diamonds and tourmaline. Bingara has a few diamond deposits too but I'm not sure if they are on private property or crown land.

Have a look at the minview website and that will have nearly every known deposit of minerals marked on a map.
When I went to three creeks I asked if I could prospect and pan my own dirt, he said "what would you want to do that for when there is dirt right here for you" lol.
Some nice little pickers amongst it, was a fun day.

We went to the three creeks gold mine a couple of years ago, a great experience, old mate teachers how to pan if you don't have much experience and you will find gold, from memory I think it was around $45 and we were there all day , and not because we were slow leaners :) there's quartz crystals as well

Gunna said:
We went to the three creeks gold mine a couple of years ago, a great experience, old mate teachers how to pan if you don't have much experience and you will find gold, from memory I think it was around $45 and we were there all day , and not because we were slow leaners :) there's quartz crystals as well
I think I paid $50 for the day but that included the hire of his concerntrator pan mate he designed.

Thanks heaps for getting back to me folks! :) I've got all my own gear and know what I'm doing. I spoke to three credks this morning and they are happy for me to camp ther, ($15), pay my day fee for fossicking and send me up the creek to dry crevice on my own. I'll fill some buckets and take them back to water.

I've been to Billabong blue a couple of years before, learned how to, and have been at it ever since.

After Bingara, I'm heading to a favorie spot in Tingha.

Baz.

There is a benefit of low water in Copeton Dam, That is when it's bellow 24% that exposes the Crystals in the huge Quartz Vein running across the Dam...
The recent water releases were for Environmental reasons to keep Downstream alive... Now there are no more releases, the river will Die...
It is going to take years for the bush and rivers to recover from This Drought... Worst Drought in 100yrs in New England the old timers are saying...

LW....

Anolphart said:
Correction: The cost of water at the Bingara pay station is $3.00 for 1,000 litres ... hey, I'm anolphart, I forget things ... OK?
Still a lot cheaper than buying a bottle of water A :playful:

Gunna said:
Anolphart said:
Correction: The cost of water at the Bingara pay station is $3.00 for 1,000 litres ... hey, I'm anolphart, I forget things ... OK?
Still a lot cheaper than buying a bottle of water A :playful:

True! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a shame a lot of the access to gold means that you have to pay a day rate to go on somebody's private operation. What happened to the good old days when you could park at a bridge crossing a river, go for a walk until you hit bedrock and sit there all day and pan away.

Every time I get out at a bridge now, there's a sign on the fence that says no trespassing.

Seems to me in the short time I've been in this game, most areas are off limits.

Depressing.

Baz.

Sandbagger said:
It's a shame a lot of the access to gold means that you have to pay a day rate to go on somebody's private operation. What happened to the good old days when you could park at a bridge crossing a river, go for a walk until you hit bedrock and sit there all day and pan away.

Every time I get out at a bridge now, there's a sign on the fence that says no trespassing.

Seems to me in the short time I've been in this game, most areas are off limits.

Depressing.

Baz.
Just before you get to three creeks there is a bridge and a track on your left to park. Exposed conglomerate bottom.

20xwater said:
Sandbagger said:

Depressing.

Baz.
Just before you get to three creeks there is a bridge and a track on your left to park. Exposed conglomerate bottom.

Thanks for that. :D

Baz.

Latest posts