Halls Creek or Leanora area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those who have been to WA detecting, which of the two locations would ya go to. Was hoping to go with the PA group in September, but can't get time off.
So will head over in July, HC is 350ks closer to me. Still would like to go where I have the best chance to find colour. Any info and opinions welcome. Having never been to WA I have and still doing the research. Maybe one has more open areas than the other?

Polky

Polky there's gold all over but you still have to find it. Most guys in the north are still pulling gold of of the Halls Creek area and it's certainly on our list of places to go. We've spent bit of time out Leonora way and have done well but once again the whole area has been very well detected so if you find gold or not depends to a great extent on research and a fair bit of luck.

Local knowledge is a great thing but for us who have to travel one new area is as good as the next. On our last trip we flew into Queensland where our vehicle was waiting. We had no guidance beyond historic mines and a bit of an idea what sort of ground gold comes out of. We managed to find a little bit in QLD, NSW, VIC and SA. It wasn't until we arrived home and left two days later for Leonora area that we found real gold. Because we've been out there before and had found a small spec of gold in a place that looked like it should have produced more. We had a location that we knew had some gold and we had a plan on how to get it. We didn't have to scout around to find an area so on the first day till the last we were finding it but that's not likely to happen on a quick trip in and out.

We went to Leonora because it was only 1000km away. If we'd been in the north we would have ended up at Halls Creek. Leonora area may have more open areas but then how much area do you need. It takes us a week to cover an acre if we're pulling gold out of it.

Phil

Thanks Phil, gives me the confidence to head to HC.Ya read heaps referring to Leonora, not much about HC. Now to concentrate research on HC. Already have a few areas which I'd like to try. Will chase up rules on where allowed to detect, then apply for permits and permission. Yep ya need to be swinging over it to find it. Thanks again man.

Polky.

Hey polky , ive been looking into the HC area also , being in Broome its not to far from me .

Have you looked at DMP WA website yet at the tengraphs ?

Hi Chriso1988, year mate done a bit of research around butchers gully and Brockman fields. Still not sure on exactly where to go. If ya there in July will be good to have a coldy.

Polky

Nice , i had a look at some doug stone maps to get and idea of where to start my reaserch theres a few spots of the Tanami Rd i took note of .
The maps arent exactly accurate in the way or scale / long - lat markings but for and idea of what was there is good for me .

I notice you were in touch with member " Westaus " regarding maping info how did you go ? Recommend it ? The price seems good and for me at the moment my laptop is on it last legs so old mates services fee out ways the 3 hours it takes just to load google earth let alone , entertaining all the data .

Im getting the ute set up atm so might even do a few trips over the dry maybe see ya out there . Which way are you coming from over east or from south W.a ? If you swing past broome let us know

try here http://geodownloads.dmp.wa.gov.au/datacentre/datacentreDb.asp
Click on
Mineral information---> point at(don't click ) mines and mineral deposits --> track across until you get to the download tab -->

---> download the --->Google Earth KMZ File (ZIP) open the minedex.kmz thats you downloaded in google earth thats a bit lots data

Inside google earth -->see picture --> untilc all but the PRECIOUS METAL eg :gold :p you may also like to find Precious mineral not gold ie Gems :)

1455438792_capture.png

From the East bud. Tannum Sands Qld. My mate recommend s hitting a few of the creeks and gullies along the Tanami track. Have not chased info from Westaus yet.
Will be doing that in the next couple weeks, still not sure where to head for a swing.
still tossing up whether to take camper trailer or rough it a bit and use the swag.
Will be good to meet up for a beer and yarn around the fire. There are a couple of other PA members heading that way, hope there sitting round the fire as well.

Polky
Comalco thanks for the info man. Had a good play with that site today.

Polky, I live up north, and metal detect from Leonora to Halls Creek.

flip a coin I reckon, The Halls creek area is very hilly and rugged, and most of the north west is covered in spinifex, if you are familiar with it , nuff said...if not, you are in for a treat. wear long pants, spats as a minimum, take a very fine pair of tweezers and a very strong magnifying glass if you are over 45.

Leonora area, is flatter, no pesky spinifex, much much cooler, so IMHO, easier on the body.
If you are new to the game, I would say go south and enjoy the easier climate and topography, and hone your skills in a more enjoyable climate.

If you are an old hand and fit as... don't mind a bit of rough going, used to the heat, then there's still a little bit around Halls Ck to be found, mostly small stuff.
Plenty of bullets and old timers tacks to keep you excited tho....

good luck, might see you out there.

Ill be the old timer looking for the tacks that fell outa my boots :D

As has been said, Halls Creek is a rugged and hilly area with plenty of washed out creek crossings.
The further out you can get, the better your chances of gold.
Many large scraped areas but well hidden by spinifex cover. This is often set alight by unscrupulous prospectors, you don't want to get caught down wind of it.

We have been there a couple of times and will revisit later this winter.
It takes a few times to get the feeling for the place.

One word of caution, the only potable water available in town (other than staying at the caravan park) is at the info. centre where they charge
TWENTY CENTS per litre and smile while they are taking your money! :eek:
Mike

Hi fellas, thanks for the heads up on HC. Will be heading over last week of June into July, hopping still cool.

Reasonably fit,spent 14 days up north QLD swinging 10 hr days, was keen as to find the elusive bit of colour, walked away with less than 2 grams for my effort.
Grew up in Mt ISA so know all about spinifex, not real keen on it.

Have been researching around Grants and prospector creeks, need to find out if it's cool to swing there or is it under a lease. Will camp where I am detectng, carry 160 ltrs of water, 2 x 120amp battery's and 120wat solar,also genie if needed.

As you fellas have spent time in alot of the areas, what do ya think about Meekathara, Fella I know who like me has never been to WA is keen to spend some time there. Is the terrain more forgiving. It's another 2 days round trip from HC,so less time swinging,
With 4mths before I go, not locking any where in,have 26 days, 3500 for fuel good 4wd all the camping gear, just keen as to get to WA, have some fun, meet people who like detecting, find some colour, and return home safe.

Again Bucket list and Boobook thanks for the info.
PS Bucketlist just hit the 56 mark mate, so year will need the eye glass.

Polky.

Polky.
Whilst the Meeka./Cue areas have yielded plenty of gold, the two times we were in that area 1/2 of the Eastern state travellers were there too.
Whilst Eastern staters ourselves, we do like to get away from mobs.
It is much easier walking etc., but best to check on access to potential areas.

Having said that, have heard of gold being found on the side of a road when stopped for a pee!
Gold sure is where you find it.

Good luck with HC, it will be August by the time we reach there so leave a bit for us.
PS don't worry about the 56, my next number is 79!
Mike

Poly and Boobook. Did you get to HC and how'd you go. Interested as looking to go there myself next season

Year mate spent 14 days swinging around Halls Creek. 4 of us with 3 Z's ,4500 and a sdc. Left with approx 80 grams between the 4 of us. Bit disappointing. We were doing 10 hr days.
The area we concentrated on was approx 10 ks down Tanami track take left of Tanami then 3ks down dirt track. Good camping area. If ya follow the track it links up with Beckman's back of Halls Creek. Fair track,ya need 4wd.
The area is rugged and we concentrated on gully's and side of the hills.
We had quad bike and traveled of the normal tracks.
Other swingers we talked to at the Clark and pub were also struggling.

Polky

I'm in Halls Creek ATM
The temperature is currently 36 degrees Celsius, AFL Grand Final day
The Spinnefax is pretty thick about at the moment
Can anyone recommend a spot here that isn't so overgrown?
Cheers
Bazza

have tried HC last two seasons, tip re water, we stay 1 night at caravan park and fill up all caravan tanks and 4 collapsible water cubes. Much cheaper and can do washing, leisure showering etc.
Agree with along the start of Tanami however my preferred location now under active mining lease so access request letters will to be sent off for next year.
Was really cheesed off last year because area I had been working previous year was "hit" with very few holes being refilled. One hole was about 4'*2'*2'. Would have liked to bury the culprit in it.
Probably spent 1/2 time filling in for others but I will try again late next season. Missed this year because new van late being delivered.

Ive noticed that filling in holes is rarely practiced on many WA fields, but in saying that this is my first season and WA is my first state
HC looks pretty good but the heat finally got to me, 39 in the shade and blody hot nights
Im gonna do some research here because theres heaps of blue and e40 ground, unlike Kalgoorlie, Leonora, Sandstone etc
Ive packed the Z away and lookin for fruit picking work in Kununurra
I will return next year!

Latest posts