H/Made Water Table Build [progressive]

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I just thought id post up a small project thats been slowly coming together over the last few months. It was intended to be done by now but "things" always get in the way. I wasent too happy with my wooden clean up sluice for a while now. It took too long to get it set up and adjusted right [not to mention the wood warping].So I took some of the ideas off the internety thingy and pretty much tried to replicate them at home. I looked at the cost of shipping one of these from Uncle Sam but bugger the cost of that idea.
So as it goes, a couple of pieces of ally, a hobbico mat, some bits and bobs, a grinder and off we go
I dont have a brake press so I tend to improvise. I use the grinder to score the areas that I need to bend

1400752032_1_450_x_338.jpg

A couple of g-clamps and a angled length as my guide

1400752126_2450_x_338.jpg

1400752156_3450_x_338.jpg

Now bending 2mm ally on a picnic table. Just as a footnote, if you score the ally, keep your grinder at 90degrees to your job. When i do the second [or third] run I angle the grinder towards the angle I want to bent the ally. It removes a bit more material and makes the bend easier.

1400752433_5450_x_338.jpg

I do use a sheet of marine ply between the table and the job only because the table is too flimsy.
The job all folded up

1400752585_6_450_x_338.jpg

The Hobbico Mat fitted into the table

1400752638_7_450_x_338.jpg

Ok thats about the sum of it so far. Just ordered a fish tank pump from fleabay [which by the way has got to be the wrong one. It was only $5.90 delivered]
I dont intend to run a spray bar at the moment. Ive got something in the back of my mind that "might" work. As for the plumbing i'll be going for 13mm hoping it delivers volume and not pressure
Ive kept a tab on the costs so far and I'll try to list them at the end of the project

Nice going Chris, 13mm will be enough. Mat is better than my chalkboard paint I think. How long is the unit? Was that A3 mat?

joe said:
Nice going Chris, 13mm will be enough. Mat is better than my chalkboard paint I think. How long is the unit? Was that A3 mat?
hi Joe.
The cutting board is a standard 300W x 450L mat from officworks. Ive been advised that its the same as the ones sold by hobbico.
The ally is a leftover from the h/banker build 2mm thick.
Today I rummaged through the dungeon and found a toy box that I think will do a good job housing the whole thing.
Ive had to rethink the whole no-spray bar concept.Had an "oops I should'nt have cut that bit" moment today.
Ill get some more pics up soon.... :)

Use a gate to smooth the water , 450 Length may just be enough :) do you have any cons left for testing? Or do I smell a trip coming?

I got a few brownie points today and managed to get a few hours to myself in the garage to continue the project.
Just a few quick pics to show where its at. This is the old toy box I found deep in the garage and just riveted 3 angle bars to help with the support legs
1400916583_10_612_x_816.jpg
1400916607_11_338_x_451.jpg

The "spray bars" are next. Just some cheep pieces of irrigation tubing, a t-piece and 2 block-off plugs
1400916870_12_816_x_612.jpg

This is where I got to play with the Dremel. The beauty of these spray bars is the cost. If I mess the first one up, its cheap to fix.
1400916996_14_816_x_612.jpg

Now to put it all together
1400917077_51a612_x_816.jpg
1400917098_16816_x_612.jpg

Still need to smooth it all out and take some of the sharp edges off it. It does look a little "agricultural" and some of the material could be taken down a notch but it is what it is.Im still waiting on the pump to arrive to give it a proper baptism.
At this point the cost is pretty reasonable. This is the breakdown so far
Aluminium sheet =Nil [assume $30]
Flat bar=$10
Stainless Bolts x3=$10.50 [can be substituted easily]
S/S Wingnuts =$5.70
Irrigation Bits =$7.00
Brass angle fitting =$4.50
13mm Clear tubing =$15.00 [had to buy a full roll]
Craft Mat =$35.00
Fish Tank Pump =$5.90
Glass Vial =$0.50
Toy Box =Nill
Collection Tray= Nill [not shown in pics]
End Caps =$5.00
GRAND TOTAL =$129.10.. :)
Now for the pump to arrive..

Going along nicely Chris :) I didn't get the christening invitation as yet. I found that another small tray in the red tray to make sure your pump stays free of dibree.

Hay Chris,
Don't wait for the pump, hook your submersible up to it and give it a go. LOL :D It should handle the flow :lol:

But seriously, looks good mate. ;) I like the idea of the small jar under the table to sweep the gold into, that's brilliant!

Good to see your out in the lab.

Next time your in the irrigation section at Bunny's they have an inline 1/2" push in flow control valve for about 5 bucks.
I use one on my clean up sluice which uses the drain pump out of an old dishwasher.
I think you may need one to control the flow.

I was thinking of building one of these myself when time allows but I'm busy maintaining the fleet at the moment.

When the majority of your vehicles were produced last century they require a lot of encouragement.

I have a piece of 20mm granite bench top about the right size and I also have one of those craft mats. Maybe I can glue the mat to the granite.

I have read elsewhere that the best material for a water table is slate and I think I know where there's a piece if it hasn't been chucked.

Latest posts