GT's Christmas Kingfish GOLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gidday everyone from beautiful Portland Victoria. To Scrounger and everyone else that wished us tight lines, well , we got amongst the Kingies today.
They are only little tackers around 6lb but they are now filleted and in the fridge for tomorrows tea.
We have a fridge full of snapper and KG Whiting fillets we are having tonight !!! I will have to send a photo to "today I cooked" segment and give Dr Duck our resident gourmet a run for his money.
Well that's the fishing report for today and below is a pic of Mrs GoldTruck and me with a couple of Portland Kingies. If you cant work out who's who, I'm the fat bastard LOL
GT :D :D :D :D
1451469659_karen_kingfish.jpg

That wets the appetite. Been chasing the sea gold for a couple of years off me jet ski down the prom. Only got lucky on the first trip but still keep trying. They can be cagey buggers down there.seen plenty but just can't catch em. Even turn there noses up at live squid at times.

Nice goldtruck and congrats on opening the score for the holidays mate. The littlies are better for eating mate and now you can just concentrate on the 'hoodlums' :lol: keep the pics coming mate, well done :lol:

Bjay said:
That wets the appetite. Been chasing the sea gold for a couple of years off me jet ski down the prom. Only got lucky on the first trip but still keep trying. They can be cagey buggers down there.seen plenty but just can't catch em. Even turn there noses up at live squid at times.

yeah Bjay they are tricky . I was taught many years ago how to cut fresh tapered squid strips and rig them on gang hooks and troll with them. 3-5kms an hour over the reef and the squid must swim side to side like a worm. If you don't get the right action, forget it. The bait must not spin in the water and just sit below the surface in water to 3M.
Deeper water than 5M I use a paravane to get it down skimming over the reef.
Get ready for the hits. I have caught them to 22kg and shiiiiit do they hit hard and go. They are called hoodlums at this size as Scrounger alludes. Without a leader of at least 60lb they will break you off on the reef everytime. I use 7kg line.
Just had a feed of Snapper and whiting and now im thinking about digging a few fuggets again, but its a bit hot for that.
GT :D :cool:

One of my favorite fish to both catch and eat.
When I was a young rock fishing nut, they were my number 1 target, and they used to bash me and my gear all over the place, love em.
Great to see them in Victoria, they were absent for a few years I heard? Port Phillip, rip used to be a good place for em and Apollo bay, is that Portland?
Anyway, where there are rats, there will be hoods! Hang on tight....

davent said:
One of my favorite fish to both catch and eat.
When I was a young rock fishing nut, they were my number 1 target, and they used to bash me and my gear all over the place, love em.
Great to see them in Victoria, they were absent for a few years I heard? Port Phillip, rip used to be a good place for em and Apollo bay, is that Portland?
Anyway, where there are rats, there will be hoods! Hang on tight....

Hey Davent

Portland is nearly 300kms west of Apollo Bay mate. Its the last major port before the border with SA. We have been fishing for Kingies down here for over 20 years.
They sure are good fun. The town at the moment is absolutely chockers full of holiday makers.
The new boat ramp is getting a work out and if the shire had not built it, it would be a nightmare, particularly at the time of year when the Tuna are running.
There is effectively now 10 lanes to launch a boat in the Harbor excluding the beach and Wallys ramp on the North shore.
Much better than years gone by.
We bought land down here over 20 years ago when it was cheap and put up a fishing shack and have watched the place grow in that time. The Tuna has put the place on the map. Its almost too busy!!
GT :) :)

I was going to Portland for a fishing trip this year with a few friends but work has got in the road. :(
It is regarded as one of the best fishing spots in Victoria. :D
Green with envy. 8.(

Tathradj said:
I was going to Portland for a fishing trip this year with a few friends but work has got in the road. :(
It is regarded as one of the best fishing spots in Victoria. :D
Green with envy. 8.(

Its always had that reputation tathradj in my opinion. But to fish it successfully is another story. Local knowledge like everywhere I suppose is important.
I spent over 10 years in the local sport and game fishing club and joined in the ANSA comps etc to learn ( didn't help much) getting out on the water and doing the time is the key.
There are one or two locals of long standing that I keenly listen to and doing so has produced the knowledge to target fish that you want at the time. I like to target species not just dangle and hope for the best. Each specie is different in bait, tackle, tactics ad area.
Its a lot like the homework you do when gold detecting, the more you do the more you find.
If I want whiting I take just whiting gear and go where they should be. Ditto for Kingies yesterday. When I want snapper ( well at Portland everywhere you go you catch snapper -baby pinkies) but the bigger ones are different story and so on. You don't take the whiting gear when you go out wide looking for Mako's.
GT

Well said mate. :) :)
My Mate who lives in Dingley Melbourne has been going there for years and knows the area well.
I was warned to take a few different setups.
Oh I wish I could go but I can't.
He has a 17 Footer well setup. Not sure of the breed of Rig but the photo's I have seen make me
go weak in the knee's.
I used to have a 508 92 model Streaker.
Could not find any one up here to go out and about.
Saddest Day was when I sold it.
Now I need another boat. LOL

There are not too many fish I haven't caught around Australia and I would rate the kingie as the best fighter. Spent way too many hours chucking lures off the rocks around Jervis Bay as well as other spots up and down the coast when I was younger, still do a bit but not addicted as I once was. They are a little easier out of a boat but still tough fighters. Not over fussed with eating them though they are not bad when cooked right, just got a bit spoilt eating coral trout and red emperor when I lived in Far Nth Qld.

Magilla you are spot on. Its hard to get excited about our southern fish when you have had coral trout red emperor mangrove jack, barra , Black Cobia (my fav) etc.
We have made the track up North to Broome and beyond with the boat many times. Its worth it though as you never tire of eating this fish every day all day yum. Throw in the odd mud crab and a bit of chilli and geezz Its hard to beat.
Must go up there again soon but for the moment ILL HAVE TO suffer with KG's, Snapper, Kingies, Gummys. calamari etc.
GT :) :) :)
1451546877_whiting_crumbed.jpg

These puppies were swimming around last night !! These are crumbed King George whiting fillets. Good size hey ! they were kidney slappers.
PS; sorry about the presentation they were gone 2 minutes later so I see little point !!!!! LOL :lol:

Geez GT Im green with envy. Spent the morning on the Hume weir for zip. saw some good schools on the sounder but couldnt get them interested in lures. must remember to get some yabbies next time.
On a prosecting related note, I came across a felspathic dyke that had decomposed. It was showing a network of what looked like Ironstone stringers within the dyke material. No photos unfortunately.

You are definitely doing it tough mate. I won't get out for a fish for the next 2 weeks, way too many tourists around, but as soon as the water warms up a bit I will be chasing some mackerel from the rocks up here, they eat pretty good as well.

Hey magilla. Im hearing you regards the tourists. Bloody PWC,s give me the willys when they decide to do circle work around where you,re fishing.
Main reason for going out was to give the cheese & kisses a bit of time at the helm as she has just got her boat licence. She found out its not as easy as it looks especialy with a bit of boat traffic & a lot of submerged trees.

We survived and gave the boat a bit of a shakedown after its yearly service.

Jethro

all fisherman hope jet skis become illegal!!! mongrel things ridden by @#$%&*'s

Just had fish again for tea !!!, and now off to the Portland foreshore for the bands and the fire works. Happy new year everyone.

GT

Nice fish there Goldtruck59.
There's nothing like the sound of a screaming reel connected to one of those houdlums.[or a screaming fisho after you get busted off]
Very jealous mate. Great stuff
Cheers
ChrisM

Latest posts