Ground tester?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this advertised on Facebook, first thought was that it would be like a normal post hole digger but the inventor assured me it was different and would break up the soil as it went down and would easily pull up small rocks and the like. I am not interested in using it as a planter but as a ground tester, I can see some scenarios where it may be useful for finding the depth of gravel beds and to show what is just below detector depth for small nuggets. Not sure of the legalities, any opinions?
https://www.facebook.com/powerplant...dHBKt4WoigOmaAnM9ZaNFVSYb5b58&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCQC9pJcwE_RFhGrIWLjrruS1CIaEw1rpyqX6LuL13Av_9F09aF2EDvaq0a-OOMINpjnlEIAGODCmaACuHluJ_qOw5vpNTS2kayF_8T8nQahFr06NaOn0VaCboywFRX4OuDCctV_C0y_Gg668rjbPGu7FWuKQu88X85HdS8MeGuiBs0dcvfuOLYxRFUMvtytTEb2pot7Y_CoaCKQA

The commercial model is 60cm long.

If the drill you put it on has enough torque to go into rocky ground be careful not to break your wrist. I have one of those two handled angers ( for fencing ). They are great especially in medium to soft ground but sometimes a rock will send it spinning around so you have to be ready to let go and get out the way.

No state allows powered equipment for excavation. I'll let you decide if it fits the bill.
You could always carry a couple of native seedlings with you to throw them off the scent :lol:

Goldfreak said:
If the drill you put it on has enough torque to go into rocky ground be careful not to break your wrist. I have one of those two handled angers ( for fencing ). They are great especially in medium to soft ground but sometimes a rock will send it spinning around so you have to be ready to let go and get out the way.

Ha ha. The memories. Had nearly 20k's of fencing to do with one of those things. Bought brand new on day one of the job. As you say, great on soft or medium ground but man I had a lot of old river bed and glacial moraine to dig. Man, that thing could tear your arms out your sockets when it hit stone. I was the sole operator of this manual Russian roulette machine.
On my days off though some other poor sod got the job. Quite a number quit within hours. Usually after a few wrenchings.

One the last day, the gear box of that arm wrenching device crapped out. I felt like I had won a personal war against that thing. I had beaten the auger. :power: :trophy: OK, arms may be six inches longer, but hey, I won.

Sorry. Off topic. :argh: :fistpump: :fire: :awful:

I have also had a bit to do with the fence post augers, they will rip your arm off if they hit a tree root. The guy that sells these ones reckons they are different, he claims they won't grab like an auger and are not designed to leave a clean hole.

Latest posts