Grand final day ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't sure were to post this but I spouse this will do ,' our local football grand final was on yesterday and while driving past the ground I thought to my self " self , that would be a good place to sweep with the Mine lab for lost jewelry and drunken coins " 'Cool was my reply , so I veered off and drove around the oval to sus it out more ' .
Seems easy enough ' I can see were cars were reversed into the boundry fence ' VB and rum cans spilt , high traffic people Aera.s in the grass ' ect ... my problem is how to Easily recover objects of interest out of the grass without digging up the soil ? I'm assuming some of the more seasoned fossickers will have a trick they could share please and in return you can steal my new / old idea and go in search of a fresh crisp gold one down at the local . Cheers and thanks in advance , Scampa .

If there were a lot of recent drops of coins etc, they won't be very deep, or may be still on the surface, so no real need to dig up the grass or do full plugs.

A pinpointer is essential, as you will be able to accurately pinpoint most finds from the surface. You can either cut a small slot or flap in the grass just under the pinpointed coin, and use a flat head screw driver or similar tool to locate and flick the coin out of the slot, or you can just use the screwdriver/probe straight into the grass to feel where the coin is, then get under it and lever it up to the surface. This will cause negligible damage to the ground, and you shouldn't be able to tell someone had been there.

Results can vary though, depending how moist or dry the ground is, and how deep the target is. Get a target too deep, and you can end up making a bit of a mess, and would probably be better served doing a 3/4 plug in the first place. And when I mean 3/4 plug, it is probably better described as a flap of grass and soil that is still partly attached to the surrounding grass and roots/runners, this will aid regrowth when pressed back into the ground. Carry a cloth to place any extra soil that is dug out of the hole, makes it much easier to fill the hole, and leaves no mess. Once again, if done properly, you shouldn't be able to see where you had excavated the plug.

For more valuable or older coins, the use of a brass probe is recommended so as not to scratch the coin. Garrett make one, or you can just buy some brass rod from you local hardware shop, and build your own. :)

I live right behind an oval which had a grand final yesterday and was thinking exactly the some thing. Was just going to run over the top for fresh coins and jewellry as this oval is used often and wouldn't want to dig holes here especially as i like right next door to it.

On ya lads welcome to bottle top and pull tab heaven. But seriously the local junior Footy grandfinals were at the Oval up from work today where I got close to $20 in a three hour hunt a fortnight ago, and I had the same thought. All the deep aly screw tops are gone if you go there I've cleared the path! ;) ;)

Thanks all for the info ' I took the mine lab and pin pointer down to the oval for a eager search only to to leave very frustrated half hour later ' both units went berserk with targetsso much I couldn't focus on just one ' I don't think its been searched before and there was junk everywhere ' the steel seats and boundary fence prevented me from a lot f areas aswell ' good learning curve I spouse ?