GPZ7000 And Salt Lakes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day

I have dug numerous deep rubbish targets with the sdc so I would expect that if you manage to get your coil over a deep gold target in the same sort of ground you would more and likely hear it or maybe just sense that you might have something, the sdc is a purpose built machine and is awesome on small gold that's its real strength and not outright depth, I use the sdc in conjunction with the 4500 as a patch hunter and also sniffing about rough ground, switch from one to the other as conditions and finds dictate.

Air tests don't take into account things like soil mineralisation and also the halo effect on buried targets, I would say that doing an air test simply verifies that the machine is working and the coil is ok, the level of soil mineralisation and other factors like soil temperature and also moisture content play a huge part in whether you can hear a target or not, so its not all about the detector or the coil as some inexperienced users think, I have dug several nuggets over an ounce in weight in one area that were very vague responses from the surface with the 4500 and 14" coil, and the deepest would have maybe been 8-10 inches down maximum, in other places where the mineralisation is different the target response would have blown you out of your socks, this is why I believe that some areas are well cleaned out and others still hide random deep nuggets, the more difficult the ground the better the chance of scoring a good nugget if you take your time detecting them.

There is also the little known Halo effect, this is when the target appears larger to the detector than it turns out to be when you dig it up, the target in situ and its more particularly ferrous targets will have a halo of decomposing iron particles that have leached out of the object into the soil around it, people believe that this will also occur with gold nuggets in situ but I am unsure whether the halo effect is caused by leaching out impurities from the nugget or by the phenomenon of gold growing in situ and attracting micron sized gold particles into itself or simply by the action of bacteria, scientifically termed as bug nuggets if you want to look into it further.

cheers

stayyerAU

Urks said:
hi GTL history shows that those with a guilty conscience usually react that way so i suspect that may be the reason you got the response you did after all you are entitled to you opinion......as long as it complies with everyone else is what society of today expects, i agree with you my experience out around red castle area the sdc is great for small shallow targets but if i am looking for something bigger and in open ground like is found around there i use my 7000.

as you mention different tools in the shed for different applications.

i also agree you were attacked first and it would appear for no other reason that your opinion is different, i didnt see anywhere that you were calling anyone a liar but maybe my eyesight is failing and this can be pointed out as i clearly missed it.

does the truth get distorted some times.....well like fisherman the fish gets bigger with every time the story is told so perhaps maybe the hole gets deeper also.

anyway good luck out there in gods gold country and keep digging. cheers

Thank you Urks....I thought I was being reasonable as well.

StayyerAU said:
G'day

I have dug numerous deep rubbish targets with the sdc so I would expect that if you manage to get your coil over a deep gold target in the same sort of ground you would more and likely hear it or maybe just sense that you might have something, the sdc is a purpose built machine and is awesome on small gold that's its real strength and not outright depth, I use the sdc in conjunction with the 4500 as a patch hunter and also sniffing about rough ground, switch from one to the other as conditions and finds dictate.

Air tests don't take into account things like soil mineralisation and also the halo effect on buried targets, I would say that doing an air test simply verifies that the machine is working and the coil is ok, the level of soil mineralisation and other factors like soil temperature and also moisture content play a huge part in whether you can hear a target or not, so its not all about the detector or the coil as some inexperienced users think, I have dug several nuggets over an ounce in weight in one area that were very vague responses from the surface with the 4500 and 14" coil, and the deepest would have maybe been 8-10 inches down maximum, in other places where the mineralisation is different the target response would have blown you out of your socks, this is why I believe that some areas are well cleaned out and others still hide random deep nuggets, the more difficult the ground the better the chance of scoring a good nugget if you take your time detecting them.

There is also the little known Halo effect, this is when the target appears larger to the detector than it turns out to be when you dig it up, the target in situ and its more particularly ferrous targets will have a halo of decomposing iron particles that have leached out of the object into the soil around it, people believe that this will also occur with gold nuggets in situ but I am unsure whether the halo effect is caused by leaching out impurities from the nugget or by the phenomenon of gold growing in situ and attracting micron sized gold particles into itself or simply by the action of bacteria, scientifically termed as bug nuggets if you want to look into it further.

cheers
stayyerAU

Interesting point StayyerAU....it's something I have always wondered about...the so called "Halo Effect"...can someone explain it to me? My viewpoint at present is that I can't see it actually existing. It makes no sense to my tiny brain. The difference between the origional target response and the response once the nugget is retrieved can be simply put down to the one variable that has changed...the nugget has moved and therefore it's orientation has as well. as for your first paragraph...I agree with that as well....I know everyone thinks they are the greatest detector operator in the world...and they 'leave nothing behind' but one thing I have learnt...particularly from pushing ground is that detectors can be the greatest things ever.....and also next to bloody useless as well....depending on the ground conditions. I am not 'into' detector electronics etc...to me they are just a tool I use...but I do know from my own experience that there is so much further for detectors to go technology wise. Sure, the companies drip feed us...why wouldn't they?...but there are detectors in the pipeline (and not so far away) that will open up the goldfields again just like the SD's did. Apologies if I have strayed off the topic.

I think the GPX offers many many more possibilities with settings combined with optional coils to attack any ground you want. The problem for me is that most of the time I just want to turn on and go (with EMI & Ground balance done). Finding the sweet spot with your detector combo and settings may require tweeking and time. You may have read elsewhere I'm considering the option of selling her - mind not made up yet.

The GPZ falls in between the SDC and GPX as far as settings go - less options but more consistent results. I enjoy the ergonomics, robustness, mineralisation handling on the GT grounds. It is my personal opinion though, that a talented GPX user can edge out any other detector on the market, GPZ/SDC included, BUT only a talented GPX maestro with the right combination of coil/settings - not the experience you learn from amateur prospecting now & then.

I own ALL THREE detectors - not fussed by the SDC, enjoy the GPX but not the fiddling to get her purring smooth every time the prospecting scenario changes, LOVE my GPZ - turn on and go with a few tweeks available if needed. Just my experience and opinion, not gospel....!

As I've said before, I think it really is a case of horses for courses, and I'll admit that the 5000 has been one hell of a learning curve for my first and only detector. I realised from the beginning that there would be certain stages of enlightenment that I would arrive at, only to realise that a particular past trip or trips were wasted with a misunderstanding of a choice of timing, coil, or need for a certain adjustment etc. the thought of just switching on a detector and away you go, is rather appealing I admit.

But for me personally there are no alternatives when searching deep ground in the gt for larger gold. I think steve wilco's tests with an sdc 2300, a gpx4800 running the nf 25" dd-x, and a gpz 7000 with the stock 14" coil, all looking for the same 1 oz lead target, pretty much summed up my needs, and the gpx clearly came out on top. Of course, that doesn't tell us how the 7000 would perform on larger/deeper targets if it was running the bigger 19" coil, but then of all the gpz 7000 users I've ever seen in the field, not one of them were ever using the 19" coil, and I can't imagine what you would feel like after pushing that setup around all day, but I bet those people using the 14" on their 7000's already had a pretty good idea.

I know the 7000 and the sdc will find different types and sizes of gold that I will no doubt miss with the gpx 5000 without going over the same ground again and again using different coils and timings. But equally, I'm sure there is gold at depth that neither the 7000 nor the sdc owners will find, that a 5000 running a 25" dd-x in sharp and normal over the same ground will find. But then in a salt environment? I suspect the results may well be different again....

It's taken me a while to set up the 5000 just the way I like it, with the coil, shaft etc that I like, and moving the control box back to balance the weight etc., but I'm now at the stage where I'm as happy as a pig in poo with it.

I think also to some degree it comes down to your own pleasure receptors in your brain, and what you want out of the hobby. If You need to come home with some gold, any gold, each and every time you go out detecting, then maybe you should be investing in multiple detectors or coils. I agree that the easy gold is gone, and that there are more smaller nuggets than big ones left etc., etc. But for me personally, I can't think of any other endeavour in life where You set out expecting the worst outcome, and settle for mediocrity out of fear of failure. Of course, if you want to actually make some regular money out of prospecting, or constantly impress yourself or others with your regular small finds, then going a long time without finding anything but junk while you seek out any possible remaining biggies, is itself then failure rather than success.

Such is the lot of the existentialist detectorist

:)

Deepseeker said:
I know the 7000 and the sdc will find different types and sizes of gold that I will no doubt miss with the gpx 5000 without going over the same ground again and again using different coils and timings. But equally, I'm sure there is gold at depth that neither the 7000 nor the sdc owners will find, that a 5000 running a 25" dd-x in sharp and normal over the same ground will find
I love my 7...for everything except when we are pushing with the loader! I think its just to damned sensitive for that type of detecting and have often felt that a 5 with a huge coil would be a better choice...might miss 1g and below size, but at least I wouldnt be stopping every few feet to dig a bit of lead shot!!
It sometimes takes me ages to detect a 9 x 20 metre area cos literally every second swing I am detecting something...some of those curly bits of bucket you'd swear was a nugget!...some so small that the magnet struggles to find them :) And the 7 is so bloody sensitive, it detects them.

1609660730_4394e213-8d5e-4cb4-94c6-1fa8990a95ef.jpg

buy yourself such a coil,and you can re-examine all those areas that you have already passed.

and I am sure that neither the salt land nor anything else will be a hindrance to you.you'll find even more nuggets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts