gpx4500 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joe can I make a few subjections on the settings you are using I would change a few off them vol limil 13 , stab 9 singal 20...\\, target volume 12 to 14 , tracking medium . If you try these the detector should run smooth regards john :)

Thanks John, any improvement in settings for the 4500 newbies including my self is greatly appreciated.

Hi Joe the 4500 are a great detector I hardly use a DD coil the 12x15 are a great coil but a bit heavy. Did the shop where you brought it from offer a free training day it may be worth it .Nenad does training days is SA as well it may be worth considering regard's :) john

old hand said:
Hi Joe the 4500 are a great detector I hardly use a DD coil the 12x15 are a great coil but a bit heavy. Did the shop where you brought it from offer a free training day it may be worth it .Nenad does training days is SA as well it may be worth considering regard's :) john

Thanks John, yes training offered and will be taken to enhance my knowledge. These were just one off many settings tried and left on during the learning phase. It will take many hours before we catch up to you old fellas. But learning on the job is the most effective. I was like a little kid that just got his new toy - all I wanted to do is turn it on ( forgot all about the 100 page manual) and when on the field realised there is more to it then just turning the on switch and run everything in default which also worked.

It's great that people share their tricks of trade - thanks guys

Just a quick post went out to chapel hill today no luck at all gave up as the thing would not stay quiet to much emi hopefully when i go to qld next year ill have more luck on my way there stopping at known goldfields

Sorry to hear that mate Chapel Hill does have a lot of EMI from the power line end. Parking at the opposite end of the field and working your way in with gpx you'll know when you are getting too close to the lines. I've found I can also get much closer with a small DD coil such as the 10x5. Best of luck up in QLD. Definitely opens up the possibilities.

Went to chapel hill today aswell as jupiter creek had no luck on the yellow stuff found some rubbish but good to be out
1449026768_rps20151202_135538.jpg

May not belong here, but:
Was in the GT last weekend around Maryborough with others from PA and my trusty 4500 hunting gold this past long weekend. We pulled 7 small nuggets totalling 3.43g (mostly from untried sites), but most unusually pulled 8 pre-decimals from a single hole giving off a signal like buried fencing wire. Very exciting.
Florin (1956)
Shilling (1950)
Sixpence (1946, 1946 and 19620
Threepence (19620
Penny (1959) - looks like I nicked it
Halfpenny 1941)
Pics below:
1465808044_heads.jpg

1465808073_tails.jpg

GPX-4500, ETrak, Direction Finding Daughter

Glad someone is finding gold.
Hit my local again today for zip, had 2 targets I would have sworn were gold, both lead.
I starting to get dejected with detected lead and junk.
I know regulars find gold around this spot, but it is very patchy. I worked 2 patches that have produced for others, nothing for me.
I am going to gamble a bit, and hit some undetected ground, that looks the goods on google earth. Its in the right country, leases to the north and historical leases from long ago. Due to the current land owner, I doubt very much its been detected, well the bit im looking at anyway, just a matter of when.

Incredible how this post re the 4500 finds focuses on only finding gold. I know that the 4500 is designed for gold, but when the thread topic is 4500 finds and coins are posted, no one comments on an astonishing gold fields coin find. Having spent an hour cleaning the coins (looking absolutely beautiful) and knowing they're worth dollars to collectors, I can truly see why treasure hunters are as hooked as us gold nuts. Some cleaned photos below:

1465902026_maryborough_coins_obverse.jpg

1465902065_img_0804.jpg

Nice finds BW! Yep it's true most would likely see this thread & just automatically assume that it's about gold finds as the GPX4500 is essentially a gold machine. Personally I like any "by-catch" - coins, buttons, Chinese coins etc. in good shape but do prefer golden catches :D Finding old coins etc. when detecting goldfields isn't so much astonishing as it us just a pleasant surprise & change from lead + other junk.
Hopefully none of the coins you found are rare cause you might of spent an hour diminishing the value but they sure did come up nicely. I think your pretty safe though & they're not worth much, if anything, more than silver value.

Nice finds now they are cleaned would be interested to see their value as collectables. Just had a quick look at values and the 1946 shilling ranges from $4 to $70 depending on condition the 1950 is the same, the 1956 ranges from $4 to $140 depending on condition, and the 1962 range from $4 to $15 depending on condition thought i would answer my own post lol so not a bad days work well done

Latest posts