GPX Battery mod.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know other people have done this/similar setups. I see no harm in sharing mine also.

Total cost. approx $53

RC car battery. 7.4v 8000mah $39.98
FM tranmitter: $7.85
2x Plugs: $1.99 (Extra is for making a charger cable.)
Heatshrink. $2 or so, already had this.
Solder: .10c
Headset extension cable with the end cut off $1

I had a spare curly cable that I cut up.
I cut it in the middle and used a 9v battery and multi meter to confirm the pinout. (as opposed to hacking up the plug to check)
Several times. A mistake would have been bad.

Here is a photo just after testing it linked to my hifi.

2ujoa41.jpg

The next part will be mounting the battery and transmitter. I'll probably end up buying a better control box cover but for the moment I think I'll put it in a little padded bag, or sew it it in a sock and velcro it under the feet of the control box.

Fm transmitter will go to my mobile that I carry anyway and to earbuds/noise canceling headset.
I'll probally also get a couple of smaller batterys for short sessions.

Nice setup. Very ingenious to use parts that you already had. When i built mine i put a fuse in between the red power wire just in case of a spike from the lipo battery. Not sure how the fm transmitter will work, probably be ok. I know the difference between using standard headphones and a good set, so just thinking with so many devices in the way whether you'll loose some performance. If its not clear you could always buy a set of Detecnix wireless receivers of Nenad, they work pretty good.

Jin said:
Not sure how the fm transmitter will work, probably be ok. I know the difference between using standard headphones and a good set, so just thinking with so many devices in the way whether you'll loose some performance.

Its 8bux. If its bad I can still move to bluetooth or 2.4 or bypass it and just plug in headphones.

Jin said:
If its not clear you could always buy a set of Detecnix wireless receivers of Nenad, they work pretty good.

Yup thats another option. for me getting the battery out of the way is the big one. I'd also be unsurprised if the fm transmitter was unsuitable but now I have options.

Latest posts