GPX 5000 RX gain/stabiliser settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolph

randolph
Reaction score
Hi all, just keen to hear your thoughts on these settings. When I first started using my 5000 before I read any instructions I had the RX gain running at 18 to 20 and the stabiliser at about 10. I went out to a very rubbishy patch near Paraburdoo W.A. that was completely flogged one night and picked up a dozen small .2g upwards nugs in 2 hours even though the threshold was extremely unstable the targets screamed at me. Then I started to read about setting which told me the stabiliser should be 1 to 3 points below the RX gain so started running at RX 12 S 9/10. The detector ran much quieter and I found more gold over some flogged patches but have never had as many finds as quickly. I have recently taken some advice from a profesional who does tours and I now run my RX at around 15 and S around 5 changing up and down slightly for different grounds and have found the machine running very stable. Your thoughts please. Cheers Randolph

Depends a lot on the ground your working in mate. I'm usually more on the aggressive side myself and will sacrifice stabilizer in preference for a higher gain. This in some ground means you need to run it with a less aggressive timing, and can mean you go down to Enhance rather than Sensitive Extra with the increased gain.

It's all a compromise, as by running higher gain can certainly have an advantage, but if you run that higher gain in a less sensitive timing the benefit can cancel itself out, and you'll run a noisier detector for no real advantage.

I tend to run in a timing which gives a reasonably stable threshold, with the highest gain that setting will allow, and drop the stabilizer to fine tune. A quick check on your test nugget will soon tell you where you need to be, once each of the timings has been set to max. Time of day and soil moisture will also limit how much gain you can comfortably run.

Wal.

My method is Simple: set the Rx Gain to suit the soil, then set the Stabilizer to suit the emi.
Obviously the higher the Gain the more emi you are going to pick up. I generally try to keep my Stabilizer above 8 unless using Boost audio.

Not at all SB...just need to spend a bit of time at each location you prospect at and test a hand full of basics before setting out on the hunt. You'll notice that these basics will vary from location to location, but generally they are only minor variations which mainly tell you which Timing is the best for that spot. Many newcomers just want to turn on the machine and get strait into detecting, without wanting to understand what the various settings actually do.

If you're new to the machine It's always handy if you can team up with a seasoned operator for a few hours, and most guys out there are more than willing to show you the ropes. ( If ever you're down Canberra way give me a call ). A day out on a paid course can also speed things up, and from then on practice is all that's needed.

Wal.

SB,Walzlin is spot on. Been out with the 4500 few
times now,still not confidant I have detector running correct.
Don't,t know anyone around Gladstone using 4500/5000 to help me.
So not sure I,am doing good or bad.Will be doin 2 day training in brissy
Then at least I will know what the detector should sound like and what
to play with to get it there.
So yes there is a learning curve and helps if ya can go out with experienced
People. Wal wish I was near Canberra.

Hey fellas there is nothing wrong with FP when you start out and get to learn your machine.
No need to fiddle with it for the first few months.

Latest posts